CNC Turret Board Tutorial

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

johnnyreece

CNC Turret Board Tutorial

Post by johnnyreece »

Hello, all!

I recently dug into getting my little 3018 CNC to drill turret boards for me. I'm not a CNC guy, so it was definitely something of a process. I figured I'd type a tutorial so that others might be able to not have such a hard time with it. The machines aren't bad for the cost (~$200). I still haven't tried the laser engraving yet (mine came with a 5.5W laser). I figure, after making a couple more faceplates and turret boards, the thing will have paid for itself. I'm hoping to buy the extension kit at some point to make it a 3040 (which would allow me to do larger faceplates that I can't do at present). One thing I found is that the offline controller is pretty much garbage. I'm probably being a bit hasty...I'll just say, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get a file that would run on the offline controller. YMMV.

Anyhow, that's a bit of a tangent. I was mostly hoping you guys might take a look, and let me know if you have any suggestions, or if I have something missing (or wrong, which, for me, isn't unexpected). Let me know what you think!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxkracht

Re: CNC Turret Board Tutorial

Post by maxkracht »

Thanks for the info! I have been planning to get a CNC for a few years. Always seem to talk myself out of it because the no name $1k. ebay ones in the size I want seem kinda sketchy and I have absolutely no experience. Should probably just bite the bullet or buy a cheapie to learn on or dive fully into the more expensive one...
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Which one on eBay? The one I have is from there and it rocks!! You have to build it up quite a bit, but it is solid and has been for the better part of a decade here.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

No specific model. You do excellent looking work with your CNC so I would be happy to take advice and recommendations. When I have looked more seriously, CNC forums seem to trash talk the generic Chinese ones, though I assume etching/drilling aluminum is light enough duty and doesn't require too much precision. I mainly want to etch faceplates and would prefer to have enough bed area to do reasonable sized amps in one pass. My current setup is a convoluted, line up multiple sheets of toner transfer to get the proper length. Works, but it's a pain.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

This is what I have...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133697164553?m ... media=COPY

This is a great source of information...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GR3CNC/ ... tid=NSMWBT

I would like to have the 48 x 24 if I ever get another one, and I just may.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Thanks, will check out the facebook group instead of pestering you too much about your setup. Any other addons that you consider mandatory or you wished you purchased sooner for faceplate work?
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

maxkracht wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:07 am Thanks, will check out the facebook group instead of pestering you too much about your setup. Any other addons that you consider mandatory or you wished you purchased sooner for faceplate work?
Post your question, I'll answered when I can... No worries.

One of the best investments is a pendant controller. I bought a PA1-2 and love it.

https://www.vistacnc.com/

You will need to get a controller (available from the eBay vendor at a good price). I have the one I bought from them... A Gecko.
You will need a very old computer if you use the Gecko. It requires a printer port. Beware that some computers that have the pp are non configurable in dos, and this crap. Otherwise get a UC100.

https://cncdrive.com/UC100.html

Then there are the limit switches, wiring, etc..
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Thanks for the info. Now I need to save up, maybe LLC myself and figure out how to deduct business expenses. I'm terrible at all that grownup stuff...