Where to buy solid core wire from?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Where to buy solid core wire from?

Post by Mark »

I'm after solid core wire for an Express and Rocket build. The problem is I would never go through a 100 foot roll.

Any suggestions?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
v846

Re: Where to buy solid core wire from?

Post by v846 »

Mark ,

Newark has NKT 20AWG solid 25ft rolls if that's what you're looking for, didn't check their selection though.

http://www.newark.com/jsp/displayProduc ... {placement}

looks like this place sells it as well

http://www.ba-electronics.com/AWSCatego ... opper_Wire

David
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the links David, I had assumed the gauge would have been 22 but it might be a bit thin, 18 gauge is definitely too thick. I'll have to look at the multicore wire I have and make a decision.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
v846

Post by v846 »

Mark,

I believe you would want the 20AWG if sticking to the original, the part numbers are listed in Ron's BOM.

I got mine from MB Electronics but I can't find their site now ..

David
BIG Dave

Post by BIG Dave »

BIG Dave: '63 Princeton, '67 SFDR, '68 Marshall 4x12, '71 Marshall JMP50, etc...
randalp3000

Post by randalp3000 »

Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the replies, I did look at Apex Jr though he sells Teflon coated solid core wire. I have used Teflon coated multicore in the past and it is good to work with. I thought I try PVC solid core this time around, it's probably just mojo but I won't know till I try it.

I should point out solid core is probably better to work with than multistrand as it stays in shape better. On a D'Lite to #0102 conversion I had to tape the wire down for weeks till it developed a "memory".

Multistrand is generally favored by most people as it is far more durable than solid core, I'd imagine when using solid core wire gauges lighter than 22 is just asking for trouble.

I thought I'd put a fair bit of info in this reply should new builders see it. It should offer a few answers. I'm certainly not questioning the knowledge of any of the people replying to me. Trying to be informative and not offensive.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Deric

Post by Deric »

I use 20awg solid core from McMaster Carr. Can't do a link from my Phone....

Search "McMaster solid PVC" and I think you'll find some links/part #'s
Deric®
BIG Dave

Post by BIG Dave »

BIG Dave: '63 Princeton, '67 SFDR, '68 Marshall 4x12, '71 Marshall JMP50, etc...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for all the replies, Steve at Apex does respond to enquiries quite fast, but he doesn't sell PVC coated wire. Fortunately Element 14 does sell the wire I require. :D
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Hepcat

Solid wire sources

Post by Hepcat »

Weber has the solid core pvc insulated wire by the foot but it has the woven cloth over the pvc. I use it for filament leads because I use the 18 gauge size but while the cloth covering has the "cool vintage" mojo, it's a pain in the butt to strip as my auto stripper doesn't work on the cloth. (run-on sentence, oops!) Weber does sell it by the foot in different colors so you can buy only what you need.
Richie

Re: Solid wire sources

Post by Richie »

Hepcat wrote:Weber has the solid core pvc insulated wire by the foot but it has the woven cloth over the pvc. I use it for filament leads because I use the 18 gauge size but while the cloth covering has the "cool vintage" mojo, it's a pain in the butt to strip as my auto stripper doesn't work on the cloth. (run-on sentence, oops!) Weber does sell it by the foot in different colors so you can buy only what you need.
If its the old fender type, the real stuff which you can get, you don't strip it. You just cut it, then push the cloth back. Its called push back. Some of the new made cloth covered does have a inner coating,which then it does not work like the old type wire. I think they upgraded it, just made to "look" like the old type. But look up fender push back wire, you should see it come up.
Turret

Post by Turret »

Here's another source http://www.newoldsounds.com/index.php?m ... 20a&page=1

Found it accidentally while searching for something else
xtian

Post by xtian »

+1 for McMaster. You can order 25ft. E.g, part number 7964K651.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
rp

Post by rp »

http://www.bulkwire.com/wire-cable/soli ... -1569.html

100ft only for the PVC but it's like $11 a roll. I've used a fair amount of their PTFE and it looks, feels and works like anyone else's wire to me i.e. Carol etc. Can't beat the price, hope it's really as good as it seems, and hope it isn't made by 12 year olds in India...