First Trainwreck Express build, This Amps Going Metal \m/

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

HobbswheresCalvin

Re: First Trainwreck Express build, This Amps Going Metal \m/

Post by HobbswheresCalvin »

o and i figured out a name for her.

based off the fact that during practice, before when i messed up. no one would notice but me. now if i hit a bad note, everyone looks at me. its awesome. that means what i play is super clear.

but it also means the amp doesnt lie for you..
so in the interest of that

her name is Cocaine, because she don't lie. :wink:
DaveMon

Post by DaveMon »

this is the first admitted metalhead with a wreck........I shall shadow your every move... :) but seriously, its nice to see what you are striving for
HobbswheresCalvin

So far the amps been amazing, i had one problem with it that wasnt a design flaw, it was my fault. I put the chassis too far back in the cabinet and snapped off the fuse socket during transport. Replaced it with a flush mount and all is well

My band has played the anaheim grove, for summer slaughter
Shoreline ampitheatre
118 west in LA
Catalyst in Santa Cruz
We played vegas and sandiego as well

And a few more i cant even remember

All of the shows i used the amp. None of the shows did i have any problems at all with hearing myself and anyone else having trouble hearing me. I never add the mix into the monitors of my amp. There isnt a need. Its crystal clear and very punchy. Many people have asked what amp im using as well because of the sound and the look of it. I rattle can painted the box a combination of colors. It kinda looks like boba fett. Like his jet pack or something with the way i scratched the paint back to reveal the different colors.

I only use a noise supressor and sometimes some reverb in front of it. No need for a drive pedal once i dialed it in.

By far the most amazing amp ive played. Very pro sounding

The recording in this video isnt the sound of the amp. As we recorded this just before i finished it. But it is our new lyric video of us and the amp is in the video, taken in vegas of us playing. I am the orc in the forground during the first half of the video with the explorer style guitar, esp ltd ex series, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc-3oXSL ... ata_player

If your in the santa cruz, or bay area, and want to come here it. Were having our cd release show november 9th at the catalyst
xtian

Post by xtian »

Watched the Band of Orcs videos...Oh, WOW, man. I have so many questions, and none of them are about your amp. :oops:

I mean, the costumes! The makeup! Are you wearing grease paint on your hands? Extended freaking fingernails?!? Teeth (tusk) protheses? Do you drool all night?

Ouch my brain hole!

Full awesome. Props.
Tillydog

Post by Tillydog »

xtian wrote:....I mean, the costumes! The makeup! ....
What costumes? What makeup? :shock: :P

Not normally my genre, but I liked that. Awesome!

Andy
HobbswheresCalvin

Updates

the use of this amp is still going strong, though it has gone through many many changes.

recently though I think it has gone through its last metamorphosis.

I had a friend introduce me to a friend of hers who was an amp builder. but not just any, he builds extremely high quality stereos reproduced un believable detail. I put the amp in his hands and asked if he could make the noise go away and clean up the

signal

after a few runs I got the amp back this last time and have decided that I'm completely content.

a lot of the changes go way over my head.

he did explain why he used the 330uf filter capacitors. He is a strong believer of good power supply from the beginning and having an overabundance of filtration in the beginning makes for a clean sound with no sag. I agree with the change because it has made this tone a lot clearer. and really allows me to dig into the low notes that we use. we play in B standard.

he also rewired the switch, it is no longer a capacitor selector. he did not fully explain to me what he did here but he said that he used it as a clamp. a resistor with two diodes facing in opposite directions. he said the resistor was the most important part. that it worked like a compressor, but instead brought some of the highs down to a lower level. this allowed more harmonic frequencies to show up at lower volumes. allowing for good tone with the master volume still low.

the rest of the info I will leave up to your question
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HobbswheresCalvin

Ill try to post as many pictures as I can, these messages are coming from my phone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HobbswheresCalvin

.more
HobbswheresCalvin

Bennic cap says 6.8uf
HobbswheresCalvin

hey guys sorry I have not been on here to answer any questions I didn't realize there was anything that was asked about the band of orcs stuff.

we do use grease paint on our hands it "wrecks" havoc on guitars. but what metal head is supposed to be clean cut. I cannot answer anything about the armor or our faces ;)

as far as drooling I have some serious stories about stuff on stage, orcs are never pretty. but the drool is always real haha

I think that is all the pictures let me know if I need to add anything
HobbswheresCalvin

as you can tell with at least the first gain stage it is no longer a wreck. but it definitely carries over a lot of the qualities.
HobbswheresCalvin

I have yet to actually record this amp on anything worth hearing. all of the previous orc stuff was done with other amps. but now that this amp is done it will be going with us on the Gwar tour in October. :lol: :twisted: :roll:
cbass

Post by cbass »

I don't think that wire's gonna be big enuff. :shock:

I would watch that cap thats next to the 1k 25w resistor that thing gets powerful hot.I would move it
HobbswheresCalvin

That cap regulates the power that goes thru the 25w resistor. Ill definitely watch it, but if im not mistaken thats why he added that peticular cap. And ya haha, he used some mighty cable in there, its mostly insulation though, 16-18 gauge I believe
cbass

Post by cbass »

Sounds like he installed a diode clipper ?Not sure
I would move that cap away from that resistor

Glad you like your amp.Sounds like your band is having a lot of sucess.Congrats