Switchable Volume and MV

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bonsaimaster

Switchable Volume and MV

Post by Bonsaimaster »

Anybody done a switchable Volume and MV for Liverpool? Any thoughts on the best way to wire this option. I know turning down the guitar volume cleans up the sound but a switchable option would give a clean with dynamic headroom.

Thanks
Daniel
Littlewyan

Re: Switchable Volume and MV

Post by Littlewyan »

How do you mean exactly? Do you want a switch that will give you a clean tone?
Bonsaimaster

Post by Bonsaimaster »

Yes.
Higher Master Volume lower Volume - clean
Lower Master Volume higher Volume - dirty
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

why not just build a stomp box with a pot to swich in and out so you dont half to fiddle with the Guitars Vol?
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

What RockinRocket said will be your best bet. You can even buy those pedals on Ebay dirt cheap.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

One of the guitar mags had the Flannery box, has a pot to set volume and foot switch works well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonsaimaster

Post by Bonsaimaster »

How about something like this. Not sure how it works. I know it the amp the footswitch cuts the signal. I don't understand JFETs but I presume they slowly make the connection of the resistor to ground. I would love someone to explain how the JFET works in this circuit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Personally, I'd go the other way - a boost pedal. Set the amount of boost you want, set the amp clean, and kick the boost in and out.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

sliberty wrote:Personally, I'd go the other way - a boost pedal. Set the amount of boost you want, set the amp clean, and kick the boost in and out.

exactly my thought's as well. My good friend after years of Dumble use has finally settled on using an Express with 2 boost/OD pedals set one for dirty rhythm and the other full OD.

M
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The EH LPB1 or LPB2 works well as a boost $30 unit or built your own but parts cost along is more then what EH sells a complete unit for. :) I built my own is why I know :)

I also have a custom pedal from Resonant Amps (Wesley K) the Small Hadron Collider which is a fantastic transparent boost.
skeezbo

Post by skeezbo »

I remember a thread on something like this over at Hoffman. It was like channel switching, but instead of two channels it was a relay that selected between two preamp gains. One was set low for clean, the other high for distortion. When the distortion pot was selected a pre-set master vol was also activated to compensate for the increase in volume. I think it was an experiment, but the builder said it worked well. Seems like a good idea, but it is probably a complicated mod. Is this what you have in mind?
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I remember a thread on something like this over at Hoffman. It was like channel switching, but instead of two channels it was a relay that selected between two preamp gains. One was set low for clean, the other high for distortion
It was DaGeezer's "pseudo channel switching".

With respect, 10thtx
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

I would tend to agree that what makes the high gain Wreck amps cool (and very functional) is that famous clean to mean action using only the guitar volume control. Ideally this occurs without an incredible increase in volume but there are some laws of physics that keep this from happening in perfection... but it's pretty good.

However, if a person wanted to add a relay there are numerous options imaginable using any of the MV options outlined in the Trainwreck pages. This is borrowing a bit from the Dumble section and could be easily done if you happen to have an unused 5V off of the PT or adding another small tranny to power the DC you need to run a relay or two.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
skeezbo

Post by skeezbo »

Thanks 10thTx. That is the one I remembered. What an interesting idea.