Why does my express sound like FUZZ?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fugezii

Re: Why does my express sound like FUZZ?

Post by fugezii »

wpaulvogel wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:49 am I’m guessing that it screams now! I love these amps.
It sounds great now, Reasonable noise levels. For safety, I use a leakage protection switch to connect and wearing insulated gloves .
There is one more thing I don't understand.
Measuring the bottom case of the chassis, it has 36AVC, is this normal?
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

In respect to what? Are you sure it's not 36mV?
fugezii

Post by fugezii »

sluckey wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:07 am
In respect to what? Are you sure it's not 36mV?
Sorry for the wrong description, forgive my English level.

I measured the aluminium case to the ground. It has 39.9vac, 2.13ma

Is it normal?
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

The 0V circuit common (ground) of your amp should be connected to the chassis using a screw, nut, star washer and solder lug. Surface oxide can prevent a good connection so check that the connection’s resistance is 0 ohms with a meter. Don’t omit a star washer, as they act to cut into the metal surface, thereby breaking through the oxide layer.
The chassis must have a safety ground connection, so that the chassis is securely and reliably connected to planet earth when it is plugged into the mains wall outlet.
Obviously the screws / nuts for these chassis connections must be tightened to a high torque.
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

Quite shocking eh!
fugezii

Post by fugezii »

pdf64 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:32 am The 0V circuit common (ground) of your amp should be connected to the chassis using a screw, nut, star washer and solder lug. Surface oxide can prevent a good connection so check that the connection’s resistance is 0 ohms with a meter. Don’t omit a star washer, as they act to cut into the metal surface, thereby breaking through the oxide layer.
The chassis must have a safety ground connection, so that the chassis is securely and reliably connected to planet earth when it is plugged into the mains wall outlet.
Obviously the screws / nuts for these chassis connections must be tightened to a high torque.
I rewelded the common grounding of the circuit and added a star washer. Finally, I found that a filter socket caused the ground wire to hang. Now the problem has been solved. The voltage from the aluminium shell to the ground is 0.001vac. Thank you very much for your help!