transformer

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

castor

transformer

Post by castor »

I've this problem:
- with Z airbrake at bedroom level I have very good gain and distorsion and everything I heard in Glen's clips
- without the airbrake or with different position of it the distorsion is not here anymore...
checked many times all connections and re-soldered everything
with everything at 12 o'clock in the amp and guitar vol at max (with hb) I have only clean/low overdrive ... as soon as I connect the airbrake at bedroom i have plenty of distorsion and fantastic tone

can it be the OT? I don't know but if I put the tester on the output I read only 1.2 ohm --> after the z airbrake on the cable I read about 16 ohm.
Is it correct to measure the output impedance on the wires after the OT?
I tought it was the impedance switch so I disconnect it and soldered directly the 8 ohm wire.

thank you for your help

castor
rooster

Re: transformer

Post by rooster »

The sound differences you describe - with airbrake/without airbrake - are not making sense. The airbrake will only reproduce what is at the output. If you have distortion with the 'AB' in place, then it would follow that the distortion would still exist without it.

You are using a speaker, I assume, with both sonic examples?

So, yeah, this does not make any sense. BTW, your OT should more likely read under 1 ohm at the 16 ohms setting, maybe .6 ohms for 8 ohm setting, for example. But this kind of measuring is kind of obtuse because the AB is a device quite different than an OT.

Lastly, if you told me you turned the amp volume up when you installed the AB, which would increase the distortion, of course, your senario would make more sense. But you say you are not doing this, so I still say that what you describe does not make any sense. Sorry.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
castor

Re: transformer

Post by castor »

It's strange even to me...
i leave the setting on the amp and on the guitar always the same
With bedroom level I had plenty of distorsion, with other levels only more clean... at the end I realized i tweak on the vvr pot from min to max in the meantime.. I'm too stupid!
I observed that after a value of reduction (a position in the vvr pot) I loose the distorsion and have only an overdrive.. more difficult to understand in bedroom level and since it was too late I checked without airbrake only with vvr pot at 0!
in every case without the airbrake to bedroom level it seems to me I loose some gain and there is more difference in perceived level between the clean (obtained turning down the guitar vol) and the full open guitar pot...

tomorrow In the afternoon at good hours I'll test the amp at more reasonable level

ps: dana's vvr works perfectly and you can have the voltage falling down to about 10% (from about 415 V to 43V) but it seems to me quite unusable in the low part (from vvr pot at 0 to about 10 o'clock). I installed it in the back of the amp after the 2 ouputs... and I had no extra noise

castor