So, A Trainwreck Rocket Clone...(looking for price quotes)

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

strat_addict

So, A Trainwreck Rocket Clone...(looking for price quotes)

Post by strat_addict »

I'm thinking about having someone build me a Rocket clone and was wondering what mods are out there?

I'm wanting it to sound something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lLcL13Z1FQ and this: http://www.vintageamp.net/ampfest/daab.html

I really like the singing leads of 2nd video and the cleans of the 1st.

How much do you think this would cost me with the wood cab and a built-in attenuator?

Read below for what I'm wanting inside the amp
Last edited by strat_addict on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rawnster

Re: So, A Trainwreck Rocket Clone...(looking for price quotes)

Post by rawnster »

From the few Rockets I've built, those tones in the clips you referred to are pretty simple to attain. No mods needed to get sparkly cleans, crunchy rhythm, and great lead tones. It's all there, depending upon your guitar and guitar's volume pot. I'm not saying I'd build one for you perse; I'm just saying that it doesn't take a master builder to attain what I heard in those clips. :-)

The cab is a different story. There's the woodcrafter's $50 cherry wood cab, to Distortion's extremely beautiful hi-end cabs. And there's several price-point choices in between.

So many ways to go, what's a girl/boy to do?

Good luck, the Rocket is a GREAT circuit...my fav for sure!
strat_addict

Post by strat_addict »

If I were to have someone build one for me, about how much would it cost (price quotes) with the following mods?

Built in Tube Reverb
Built in attenuator (Ken's TW Att Circuit)
And the wood cab, I could acquire myself

I also want some kind of mod to give me early break-up but without making a crunchier tone.
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

strat_addict wrote:I also want some kind of mod to give me early break-up but without making a crunchier tone.
Uhhh, what? "Break-up" and "crunchier" are the same to me. I think you need to stop concerning yourself with "mods" and just have someone build you a Rocket. Believe me there's PLENTY of gain to be had...

Andy
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

:shock: $6,000 :shock:
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

mcrracer wrote::shock: $6,000 :shock:
MC for a man with your talent I'd say you are giving that amp away...

I think the street price for an "ordinary master builder" usually starts at $2500.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Rouse94

Post by Rouse94 »

RJ Guitars wrote:

I think the street price for an "ordinary master builder" usually starts at $2500.

rj
Lets say I were to buy a ceriatone clone for about $1100, then hand it off to a builder to put the attenuator and reverb in it, what would that cost me?
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

MY OPINION - this is in the wrong forum. It should be in the "For Sale" forum. This thread is not about the amp circuit or how to build.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

Rouse94 wrote:
RJ Guitars wrote:

rj
Lets say I were to buy a ceriatone clone for about $1100, then hand it off to a builder to put the attenuator and reverb in it, what would that cost me?
I was semi joking. What you are asking goes against KF's philosophy. I do not think most builders would want to add any circuit mods as you describe. The beauty of the amp is its' simplicity. That is part of why it works so well. Now you are the one paying so I guess someone will build in whatever you want. It will not be cheap as you get what you pay for. I have nothing against Nik or any other kit seller, but I would never build a kit. First of all I have wholesale sources where I buy my parts and I would much rather choose my own parts to assure the best possible quality. From what I have heard many kits sort of cuts corners on their part selection. I cut and fabricate my own eyelet and turret boards and have chassis made to the specs I want. With a kit you just build what you get.
Do you want a high quality tone machine or do you want just an amp?
RJ, you are much too kind, I look to you and many of the other guys for guidance and inspiration.
dayn

Post by dayn »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsJvmZBvMIQ

Buy a Wreck clone.
Get an outboard attenuator or use VVR.
Get a Mojoverb reverb unit.
Done.
strat_addict

Post by strat_addict »

mcrracer wrote:
Rouse94 wrote:
RJ Guitars wrote: MC for a man with your talent I'd say you are giving that amp away...

rj
I was semi joking. What you are asking goes against KF's philosophy. I do not think most builders would want to add any circuit mods as you describe. The beauty of the amp is its' simplicity. That is part of why it works so well. Now you are the one paying so I guess someone will build in whatever you want. It will not be cheap as you get what you pay for. I have nothing against Nik or any other kit seller, but I would never build a kit. First of all I have wholesale sources where I buy my parts and I would much rather choose my own parts to assure the best possible quality. From what I have heard many kits sort of cuts corners on their part selection. I cut and fabricate my own eyelet and turret boards and have chassis made to the specs I want. With a kit you just build what you get.
Do you want a high quality tone machine or do you want just an amp?
RJ, you are much too kind, I look to you and many of the other guys for guidance and inspiration.
I knew you were joking, but my budget lies somewhere within the range of $1500, I'm wanting the best tone machine I can get; so I may have to bump up my budget if I want an amp that's high quality and will last for a very long time.

About me changing the simplicity, an attenuator shouldn't change the tone when its all the way off. Depending on how much extra an attenuator would cost, I might just get an external one (planning on Dr. Z's TW att. clone).

Reverb isn't that important to me; Its not worth an extra $300 (more or less) to me to have it tube driven and inside the amp. If I feel I really need a 'verb, I'll just get a pedal.

I'm just wanting a general price quote for this, so that I know how much I need to save. I plan on having it built by someone in the Kansas City area.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

strat_addict wrote:
I'm just wanting a general price quote for this, so that I know how much I need to save. I plan on having it built by someone in the Kansas City area.
If you want a true clone, or one that sounds like one, I'd stick with someone on this board. There are a number of self-proclaimed Trainwreck clone builders out there that don't even get the topography (physical layout) close, which -can- make a difference.
spiralstairs

Post by spiralstairs »

note that the daab seems to be in your price range, and has some sort of output regulation (not sure on details)

I'd get the daab myself but after shipping + taxes to europe the price is way out of my range

Not saying a rocket clone isn't a good idea, but the daab seems like a nice choice at a very fair price. I'd definitely go for daab over a ceriatone
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

There are several of us who would sell you the parts to build your Rocket. There is some added bliss in playing through an amp that you build yourself.

You've got some of the best Wreck experts in the world that would help you through this effort... but not to minimize what is required to build a great amp. Most folks will tell you, build yourself a "Champ" and then move up from there.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
strat_addict

Post by strat_addict »

RJ Guitars wrote:There are several of us who would sell you the parts to build your Rocket. There is some added bliss in playing through an amp that you build yourself.

You've got some of the best Wreck experts in the world that would help you through this effort... but not to minimize what is required to build a great amp. Most folks will tell you, build yourself a "Champ" and then move up from there.

rj
I looked around on your website, and have a question, how close is your "Roadster" to a Rocket? And will it be able to produce the tones that I described in my original post?