Wreck Junior.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

slajeune

Re: Wreck Junior.

Post by slajeune »

Hi Greg,

if the comment was oriented at me, I have to say that there are a LOT of more talented people here that build a lot more stuff than me!

Cheers,
Stephane.
slajeune

Post by slajeune »

Forgot to post this picture earlier. My derailment is in a combo. The faceplate is a very cheap 1/16" wood panel that was very clumsily engraved and coated.

http://www.sophtamps.ca/images/derailme ... _wreck.jpg

Cheers,
Stephane.
kec

Socket layout

Post by kec »

Can someone check my layout for socket placement? I don't want to screw this up.

My chassis is 8" deep x 12" wide. I basically followed the dim's of the Express for V1 & V2. Now I have to figure out for the EL84 and octal mod sockets - one at a time, of course :lol:

Any ideal places where power tubes should be? Attached pic is what I was thinking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken

Real guitars are for old people! - Cartman
evan

Post by evan »

Hi Ken:

Your tube layout looks okay to me.

I would recommend checking your transformer layout with the "headphone trick" --- wire a socket on yout OT secondary for your phones and power up the PT primaries. I think you will find some 60 Hz hum present in the layout you have (based on my experience with Hammond trannies). It will probably decrease to an acceptable level if you rotate both transformers 90 deg.

-Evan
kec

Post by kec »

evan wrote:Hi Ken:

Your tube layout looks okay to me.

I would recommend checking your transformer layout with the "headphone trick" --- wire a socket on yout OT secondary for your phones and power up the PT primaries. I think you will find some 60 Hz hum present in the layout you have (based on my experience with Hammond trannies). It will probably decrease to an acceptable level if you rotate both transformers 90 deg.

-Evan
Thanks for your input. I did the tranny layout just as allyn did - see first post - although his OT is more off center than mine. I was always told that you want one of the trannys 90 deg. of the adjacent tranny - similar to inductors in crossovers.

On the "headphone trick". This is new to me. Is that all I hook up? Headphones from OT output, Power primaries (PT) only? with load or no load? Please elaborate. Thanks!
Ken

kec

Post by kec »

kec wrote:On the "headphone trick". This is new to me. Is that all I hook up? Headphones from OT output, Power primaries (PT) only? with load or no load? Please elaborate. Thanks!
Never mind. I found out here: http://ax84.rru.com/FAQs/general.html#hp-trick
Ken

evan

Post by evan »

Yes, you have it right on the headphone trick. No load is required on the PT. Obviously, be careful with those PT secondaries. Small wire nuts are handy for this. If you have multiple taps on the OT, use the 16 ohm output.

On the orientation, yes, in general (there are occasional exceptions like the hammond 125dse OT) there is minimum hum with laminations oriented at 90 degrees. In my experience, the one you have there is "second best" and by turning ea transformer 90 degrees the layout will improve. Try the headphone trick and see. With the transformers so close together, I think this is well worth your while. Obviously you could hook up your speaker cab in place of the headphones and get "another opinion". This hum comes through even in standby.
kec

Post by kec »

Evan, I'll try it today.

Thanks!
Ken

kec

Post by kec »

Just did the test. No hum with my current orientation as pictured :D If I rotate either tranny 90 deg., hummmmm

BTW, I'm using the OT from musicalpowersupplies.com
Ken

evan

Post by evan »

Cool.

Always worth doing on a small chassis.

-E.