New Rocket build in the works :)

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Doxie man

New Rocket build in the works :)

Post by Doxie man »

8) It’s been a while since I’ve done anything “ Wrecky” sooooo......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kutless84

Re: New Rocket build in the works :)

Post by kutless84 »

Looking good Doxie!! I'm about to embark on my second Rocket build myself. Looking forward to the updates! If you don't mind me asking, what PT are you using?

Jay K.
Mark

Post by Mark »

It is a bit unconventional, where is the choke for the Rocket amp?

It looks more like a Liverpool build at the stage it is at.

The output transformer is a Heyboer A470 and the power transformer is quite large. The Classic Tone transformers are about that size, the Heyboers are smaller.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

Still waiting on my choke to arrive. The PT is the Wreck PT with dual HT/AC taps ( 260/300 vac).....yes my layout is not the typical Rocket layout. I’m not interested in doing an exact clone of any thing I build. I like to do things a little different with my builds. 🤘🏻 Here is a pic of one of my “ Plexi-Wrecks” I built last year 😎
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

It is basically a modded 1987 circuit with a Liverpool power section 😎
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

Here is the preamp build pic from that amplifier :
Mark

Post by Mark »

Okay, about the choke, are you waiting for the Hammond brand choke?

What brand is the power transformer?

There is some interesting component choices on you Plexi Wreck board, different resistor types the treble cap isn't the customary silver mica or ceramic. What drove your choices?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

Yes....Im waiting on the Hammond 15H choke. The PT I chose was the Wreck PT Classic Tone offers. It’s a FANTASTIC PT for a whole lot of things....I use that PT a lot in my stuff. My resistor and cap choices on my Pkexi Wreck we’re chosen based on experiences I have building 50W Plexi circuits and EL84 based circuits. Some values must be changed in the preamp and especially the phase inverter to “ behave “ properly with the EL84 power section. You can not build a standard Plexi circuit and power it with EL84’s and expect it to behave/sound right without knowing what to adjust and tweak to accommodate the easily driven 84’s.
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

Here’s is a pair I built last year using the Wreck iron from a Classic Tone. I used their Wreck PT and 6k OT they offer. Both of those amps sound stellar. Their new owners love them they tell me. 😉
Winder

Post by Winder »

Really nice work. Interesting comments on getting the PI to "behave" for an EL84 "plexi". I have one on the shelf to rebuild - basically and 18W plexi with 2xEL84. Always seemed a bit fizzy before.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The bias voltage is quite low for an EL-84 which means they go into forward conduction easily. There are a lot of option to go for. The Paul Ruby Zener mod might be the thing you're looking for.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/download/fi ... &mode=view

https://www.18watt.com/storage/18-watte ... fo_311.pdf
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott