pec 2 watt pots log or linear proper part #?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Chris G

pec 2 watt pots log or linear proper part #?

Post by Chris G »

Hi Guy's ,
I was wondering if someone could help me with the correct part #(4 VN?) for the pec 2 watt pots and is it log or linear for the volumes..........I always went with alpha 1m audios...............is there a big difference.
Thanks
Chris G
Elcabong

Re: pec 2 watt pots log or linear proper part #?

Post by Elcabong »

I would think you need to select in the RV4N series for linear values and the KA series for audio ( log ) values. The volume need to be logarithmic.

I have not convinced myself to use them yet; they may be nicer and run for longer but the price difference with Alpha is huge.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

AT the very LEAST....use a PEC for the volume. It's worth it.

The taper on the ALPHA is not good. The PEC is much smoother and easier to adjust.
HiGain

Post by HiGain »

A stupid question:

What does "pec" refer to? The brand or the type? And where does one get these?

Thanks,

Jake
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

PEC: Precision Electronic Components Ltd.

Those Kind of pots are also offered by other brands like Clarostat. Somewhat cheaper.

Look for military RV4 or K series for 2 watters or RV2 or N series for 1 Watt pots.
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

HiGain wrote: And where does one get these?

Thanks,

Jake
I know you can have them from Digikey, for sure.
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Hi Guy's
Thank-you for the info!!! I was posting very quickly, as I had to get back to work.......My Main concern is in the digikey catalog they show the kk as the proper one to get ( 1m,log pot).Problem is they show a very short shaft in the picture........but in the legend of measurements for the pot it looks long enough??????? :roll:

I just want to order the right one.......and @$ 10.22 a peice I don't want to make a mistake!!!!!

Thank-you again Guy's
Chris
Omar

Post by Omar »

I just ordered my PEC's from George at Metro Amp:

http://metroamp.com

The are pricey at $11/piece, but I thought I would try them from my twreck clone rebuild. George is a great guy to deal with. I would highly recommend buying from him.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Hi Guys, I ordered 3 pec 1m log pot's from digikey!!! I will post my finding's when I get them installed :D
Thanks
Chris
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

Chris G wrote:My Main concern is in the digikey catalog they show the kk as the proper one to get ( 1m,log pot).Problem is they show a very short shaft in the picture........but in the legend of measurements for the pot it looks long enough??????? :roll:
It may be too late since you already ordered them but according to the Digikey catalog and the information on PEC site, a KA1051S28 pot would give 7/8" for the shaft lenght. This is from the top of the pot so when you subtract the bushing lenght, there is about 1/2" exposed.

http://www.precisionelectronics.com/Mil ... mation.htm
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Elcabong wrote:
Chris G wrote:My Main concern is in the digikey catalog they show the kk as the proper one to get ( 1m,log pot).Problem is they show a very short shaft in the picture........but in the legend of measurements for the pot it looks long enough??????? :roll:
It may be too late since you already ordered them but according to the Digikey catalog and the information on PEC site, a KA1051S28 pot would give 7/8" for the shaft lenght. This is from the top of the pot so when you subtract the bushing lenght, there is about 1/2" exposed.

http://www.precisionelectronics.com/Mil ... mation.htm
HI Elcabong,
Thanks for the replie and link, Those are the ones I ordered!!!! didn't have the book in front of me while posting.... that's why I had the kk. I wound up with the right ones.
Thanks
Chris
bentonar18

Post by bentonar18 »

Guys, PECs are available from Mouser, too, but they are listed as NTEs (I think NTE makes PEC). Search on "potentiometer NTE 2W" to see what they have. Make sure you see how many they stock; some of them are kinda low. Price may be better, though.

John