1965 Thomas Organ Vox V1 Pathfinder

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

WeaseTech

1965 Thomas Organ Vox V1 Pathfinder

Post by WeaseTech »

Hey There Amp Fans! My neighbor just brought me a 65 Vox V1 Pathfinder to have a look at. It still has the original Vox branded made in Great Britain tubes, I think they may be Mullards even though they don't say so, as the rectifier is a EZ80. Missing the Bulldog speaker and it's been replaced with an Eminence 8".
North Coast Music isn't providing or selling schematics any longer, and I've spent hours scouring the internet to no avail.
Does anyone have or know where I can get a V1 schematic? I know this is a rare duck as this all tube model was only only available late 65 into 66, then they became transistorized. Much Appreciation in advance for any Help.
ChopSauce

Re: 1965 Thomas Organ Vox V1 Pathfinder

Post by ChopSauce »

Never ever saw any schematic for that amp. Maybe you can try comparing it with AC4 ones?

Which tubes has it?

Any gustshots?
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The pathfinder appears to be just a single output tube ( single ended) version of the pacemaker, and the pacemakers schematic can be found at the schematic Heaven site and others, and as posted above the AC4 schematic would be atleast the output stage you need to look at .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
WeaseTech

Post by WeaseTech »

Voxshowroom.com has excellent photos of the guts. The V1 has 2- 12ax7, 1- EL84, 1- EZ80.
The output section is very similar to the AC4 component wise, but the front end is different as it uses a EF86.
I'll have a look to see what the Pacemaker schem has to offer. Thanks guys.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Yet the Voxshowroom has a few gutshots, I can hardly use them to be sure about the circuit, beyond the site stating that the preamp is almost that of the Cambridge (& a few others). Not sure about the tremolo, so, but as stated above that should be something along the lines of the Vox products of this era.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Well the AC4 uses the EF86.

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
WeaseTech

Post by WeaseTech »

ChopSauce wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:24 pm Yet the Voxshowroom has a few gutshots, I can hardly use them to be sure about the circuit, beyond the site stating that the preamp is almost that of the Cambridge (& a few others). Not sure about the tremolo, so, but as stated above that should be something along the lines of the Vox products of this era.
What makes this amp rare ChopSauce is that this all tube version was only made for less than a year, then they started transistorizing them.
I'll try and get you some close up shots of the chassis. Most everything leading up to the EL84 is different in some way or another, the output section is about the only thing resembling the other amps.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Meaning different from the pre-amp section of the Cambridge, too?

I'd be happy to know some more about this amp - especially the tremolo section - beyond what was already written about it, therefore.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need me to trace the circuit but I'd appreciate any information ... 8)
(mostly out of curiosity, but not just)
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If you want to learn more about this amp and just learn more in general then draw yourself out a schematic.

The first time I did such on a small amp it took me 5 try's at it and you learn a ton about signal flow too boot!

You will also be doing the amp community a favor since we will then have a schematic!

WeaseTech

Post by WeaseTech »

ChopSauce wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 am Meaning different from the pre-amp section of the Cambridge, too?

I'd be happy to know some more about this amp - especially the tremolo section - beyond what was already written about it, therefore.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need me to trace the circuit but I'd appreciate any information ... 8)
(mostly out of curiosity, but not just)
Yes it is close, but no cigar exactly to the Cambridge. The 'Trick' will be in figuring out what the various voltages are 'suppose' to be at the various stages.
As We can all see the voltages vary a lot between models, one of the main reasons for my wanting to find a V1 schematic.

I've spent most of the past week working on a faithful DIYLC layout of this amp and will hopefully have it completed in the next few days.
So watch this space.....
WeaseTech

Post by WeaseTech »

Stevem wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:14 am If you want to learn more about this amp and just learn more in general then draw yourself out a schematic.

The first time I did such on a small amp it took me 5 try's at it and you learn a ton about signal flow too boot!

You will also be doing the amp community a favor since we will then have a schematic!
I've spent most of the past week working on a faithful DIYLC layout of this amp and will hopefully have it completed in the next few days.
So watch this space.....
WeaseTech

Post by WeaseTech »

Just another update... All of the Original Vox Labeled tubes from 1965 tested Good on my Jackson 648, with the exception of V2, the 1st 12AX7 which came in at 80 mhos on one side and 65 mhos on the other. The amp is quiet as a mouse with no filter cap hum, but don't know if I should trust them ( the 40/30/10 Can) due it's age.
Most of the resistors are at the top end of tolerance but still within hand grenade range. Also, I installed a grounded power cord bypassing the polarity switch and the Death cap. Amp does sound Great though for what it is, and a fresh 12AX7 did wake it up!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

No opinion about the caps.
WeaseTech wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:45 pm I've spent most of the past week working on a faithful DIYLC layout of this amp and will hopefully have it completed in the next few days.
So watch this space.....
I'm looking forward to see the outcome ... 8)
WeaseTech

Post by WeaseTech »

ChopSauce wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:41 am No opinion about the caps.
WeaseTech wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:45 pm I've spent most of the past week working on a faithful DIYLC layout of this amp and will hopefully have it completed in the next few days.
So watch this space.....
I'm looking forward to see the outcome ... 8)
Well... here is the layout. This was my first attempt using DIY-LC, so be kind! :lol:
Here is a corrected layout image which shows the completed pilot lamp connection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by WeaseTech on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WeaseTech

Post by WeaseTech »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by WeaseTech on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.