Hiwatt 50W on Twin Reverb Chasis?

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

caesparza

Hiwatt 50W on Twin Reverb Chasis?

Post by caesparza »

Hi everybody.

I have a Fender Twin Reverb 65 RI Chasis and Transformers available for a build. I was wondering if I could build a Hiwatt 50W amp on it? Sorry if this looks like a ridiculous question. I know the TR's Transformers put quite high voltage on the circuit that could work on the Hiwatt context.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stay safe.
Carlos.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Hiwatt 50W on Twin Reverb Chasis?

Post by pompeiisneaks »

There are a few things you'd want to check. I found the PT for the Twin RI. It seems to be at 340V output but the classic DR504 were around 350, so you're a little lower on voltages... not the end of the world. The Twin RI is like a 7 preamp tube variant and the hiwatt only uses 4, so you have tons of current capacity available for sure. that may even leave your voltages up a bit higher anyway.

The output transformer would be the area you'd need to sort out. The Hiwatt 50 seems to be a two by EL34 amp but the Twin RI is a 100W no? With 4x6L6GC? You could just use that OT with those tubes and it would likely work, but then you're just reproducing the Hiwatt preamp and you'd have a different power amp. Up to you. OR you could buy an OT that's specced for what a 50W Hiwatt with two EL34's would want.

So, the answer is... it depends. ;)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
mhuss

Re: Hiwatt 50W on Twin Reverb Chasis?

Post by mhuss »

...or just make a 100 watt one and pull two tubes. :wink:

--mark