speaker power handling

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dobbhill

Re: speaker power handling

Post by dobbhill »

I always thought that Santana used Altec 417.....
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.......
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

I am not going to swear by this. I own Altec before, they are 3" voice coil with small silver dome dust cap. The one in Santana looked 4" dome. I am not familiar with Electrovoice, I just read somewhere Boogie used EV at the time.

I think it's logical that if the voice is very big in diameter, it will bend out of shape easier and rub on the frame.

Those speaker are out of production far as I know, hopefully the newer generation speaker with kepton or other stronger material is more rugged. Most of the ones I read are below 2" in diameter.
JMFahey

Post by JMFahey »

dobbhill wrote:I always thought that Santana used Altec 417.....
He also did ... but I still remember the (Guitar Player?) article where he or a roadie says that "when EV stopped making the SRO they sent people to buy all they could, before they fully disappeared from the shops" or something very close to that.
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

This is a little off topic. I don't know why Santana use EV or Altec. He adjust his amp very dark and fuzzy. The sound in the recording or even when you stand farther away in the concert is all from the PA and it sounds nothing like if you hear directly from the amp. He was my idol and I went to 5 of his concert. One time I was in the first two rolls and heard his guitar directly from the amp because I was too close to hear from the PA, it sounds nothing like you hear on the record. Absolutely nothing like it. It was bassy and fuzzy, it did not sound good. But when I walked towards the back to go to the bathroom, it then sounded just like in the recording through the PA.

He might be much better serve using Celestion type of cheaper speakers.

Also, he did not crank his amp up. 3 of his concert I went to, the band drown out his guitar playing. I really guess he use less than 25W of power from the amp.