Finally got back to the Bluesmaster

Post by roknroll »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPehlJRmO2w
Blues master clone, dlator, rack effect, Hamer Studio
Just doodle
David Root

Re: Finally got back to the Bluesmaster

Post by David Root »

Sounds great! HRM/Non HRM etc, we're all ears!
roknroll

Post by roknroll »

David Root wrote:Sounds great! HRM/Non HRM etc, we're all ears!
HRM Bluesmaster clone. Interestingly, in the past I have read posts talking about these amps being part of a "system", meaning when I play it without the Dlator it is very disappointing, as soon as it goes thru the Dlator and some delay or reverb, bingo, chocolate tone!!!!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

WOW! Very very cool tone! That's one of my favorite soundclips that I've listened to on TAG. Nice. Good playing too.

Had a very clear transparent overdrive tone to my ears. I liked it.

With respect, 10thtx
fltundra

Post by fltundra »

Nice!! :)
roknroll

Post by roknroll »

Thanks much
Structo

Post by Structo »

Nice!
What speakers did you use?

When you turn on OD do you also switch on PAB?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
roknroll

Post by roknroll »

Structo wrote:Nice!
What speakers did you use?

When you turn on OD do you also switch on PAB?
Hey Tom
PAB is off, OD only.
That cabinet is part of my secret sauce. I am well aware of the opinion of many players who do not like the sound of Celestion G12T-75. That cabinet has 4 English G12T-75 speakers of which only two are being used in the 8 ohm mode. IMHO these speakers are in my top 10 list. Often, when talk of favorite and most hated speakers arises in my shop, the G12T-75 is in the hate catagory. So, without telling anyone what speakers are in the cabinet, I let players either demo my amps or play their own amp (after a mod or repair) through this cabinet. 100% of the time, after they dry the drool on the side of their lip, they ask me what speakers are in the cabinet and are shocked when I tell them the content.
JK
Structo

Post by Structo »

Interesting.

I haven't played a Bluesmaster yet but what I read is that most guys have it so when you switch on OD, it also triggers PAB or the footswitch is situated so that you can hit OD and PAB at the same time with your foot.
The reasoning is that since it is HRM, you don't want both tone stacks in the circuit when you are in OD.

But that is also subjective and if you like the tone you get with both the HRM OD and the clean tonestack, then that is fine with me.

The reason that amp works well with the G12T-75's is probably because of it's Marshall roots (PI) in the Bluesmaster, yes?

We don't all have to use EVM 12L's or G12-65's :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
roknroll

Finally happy

Post by roknroll »

Over the years I have heard Blues Master HRM amps that made me drool. Mine never did it for me. I worked on it periodically for a few years. Always got depressed after spending another 30-50 hours tweeking and never getting it right. Put it aside. Afew months later, pull it off the shelf with a refreshed attitude, 30-50 hours later, still not happening. Disgust would set in and the yoyo loop would continue. Well, finally I am a smiling, drooling fool for the tone, the feel.
It is set up with an HRM bypass switch. I never realized how huge an overhead the HRM put on the circuit and there is no recovery stage. The recording was made with the HRM "ON". HRM "off is monster loud but sounds killer when using the dlator as an attenuator. Removed the Rock/Jazz switch as I felt it was more of a legacy item which never tweeked me for this style amp. I love using the Jazz setting in overdrive mode with OD Special types. Recorded at a volume that was loud enough to be cool but low enough to have a conversation without straining your voice.
Just some mindless doodle. Recorded with Carvin CS6 with Crossroads pups. Mild reverb through the dlator. 1/2 Marshall 4-12 cab using 2 g1265.
http://soundcloud.com/user5724320/blues-1
http://soundcloud.com/user5724320/untitled-2
http://soundcloud.com/user5724320/blues
http://soundcloud.com/user5724320/b
http://soundcloud.com/user5724320/b-1
Last edited by roknroll on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

rocknroll,

Both recordings are very good even when you noodle :lol:

I just received my P-TF47609 (reverb PT) to start on a Dumblelator.
I need to try this with my BM HRM 100w.

Mark
roknroll

Post by roknroll »

M Fowler wrote:rocknroll,

Both recordings are very good even when you noodle :lol:

I just received my P-TF47609 (reverb PT) to start on a Dumblelator.
I need to try this with my BM HRM 100w.

Mark
Thanks for the compliment. When you get your feet wet with the dlator and find the sweet spots you will be in tonal heaven. It is great to be able to turn up the OD and OD volume pots to between 4-5 (which would be be super loud wo the dlator) and use the dlator to attenuate the signal. The amp is pushing and nothing but sweetness emerges.
This is the only Blues Master HRM (for me that is) build that sounds great w/o a dlator but sounds incredible with it. In the past most of my builds sounded kind of harsh w/o the dlator and it was always difficult to tune the HRM. Never found a sweet spot. The HRM part of the amp seems to only work well when everything before it is spot on. This current build allows quit a large range of acceptable tones using the HRM stack.
JK