Ceriatone SSS Clips

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Re: Ceriatone SSS Clips

Post by vibratoking »

But for me - that sounds much better than any other SSS clip I've heard outside of Stevie himself I suppose...
We are all certainly entitled to our opinions. The HPD clips I have heard are SO much better and in a competely different class than the Ceriatone clips IMO. But I am not looking for dirt from this type of amp, so they really are different animals AFAIK.

With all due respect...
Structo

Post by Structo »

That's what I thought that set the SSS apart from other amps, was that it was painfully clean with huge headroom.

So if the Ceria SSS has overdrive then it is not a SSS, right?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Structo wrote:That's what I thought that set the SSS apart from other amps, was that it was painfully clean with huge headroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE-8uxnoTG4

totally clean, NO OD, NO master, w/verb, no filters, but he does have some switches going on like 2 rock..this one to me is AWESOME..i`d stand in line for one.....that smooth OD thing w/fuzz and screamers is addictive, ive had my HRM close to that blv it or not!
exocet

Post by exocet »

Structo wrote:That's what I thought that set the SSS apart from other amps, was that it was painfully clean with huge headroom.

I'm confused about what a SSS should and should not sound like as well.

I thought that Brandons take on it produced significant overdrive as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPb69_C0rB4
ER

Post by ER »

Stevie-Ray's SSS was very atypical. He wanted a dumbleland like JB's but HAD didn't make dumblelands anymore, that's why SRV's is "more like a bass amp" and a SSS in name only though there are similarities among the high power amps.

This is what a steel string singer is really supposed to sound like;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbbgSKUZB4
stratcat62

Post by stratcat62 »

ER wrote:Stevie-Ray's SSS was very atypical. He wanted a dumbleland like JB's but HAD didn't make dumblelands anymore, that's why SRV's is "more like a bass amp" and a SSS in name only though there are similarities among the high power amps.

This is what a steel string singer is really supposed to sound like;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbbgSKUZB4
I've always been a huge SRV fan and consequently have lusted after the Dumble Steel String Singer, seeing it as the amp of amps...

Then I heard that Mr. Dave clip, Mercury Blues with El Rayo-X in '88, and THAT became the amp of amps. I always figured it was his ODS. Thanks to ER for getting me to look closer at that video and see that it is in fact a Steel String Singer. I've probably watched that video a thousand times. Too busy listening to really watch I guess.

IMO, that thick overdrive from Mr. Dave's SSS is definitely present on the Ceriatone clips. I think it sounds pretty close if not right on, especially considering Nicky Moroch is playing a typical 6-string vs. lap steel and slide. I was excited about the Ceriatone before; now I'm completely sold. Sounds to me like they nailed the 100w Steel String Singer.
jelle

Post by jelle »

I wonder what that amplifier is based on. It does not sound like the Dumble SSS amplifiers I have had the pleasure to play. I did play some early 100W ones. But I have not played all SSS amps. :D
musicmaddness2011

Post by musicmaddness2011 »

its important to remember that he's playing high powered gibson pickups, into the FET channel, with preamp up full, and PAB enaged, out into a 2x12 and nearly half master volume (running at 100w) and then shot with a cheap digital camera. (says so on their forum)
A quick search would show that sss are capable of breaking up, especially early ones.

What we really need is a clean demo (since thats the sss tone people seem to identify with the most) with a strat; and recorded in a decent setting.

Until then - verdict undecided.
Max

Post by Max »

ER wrote:This is what a steel string singer is really supposed to sound like; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbbgSKUZB4
How do you know? From 9:24 to 9:39 IMO you see his SSS under the 1 x 12" cabinet and on the left of it one of his ODS amps sitting side by side.

Cheers,

Max
jelle

Post by jelle »

musicmaddness2011 wrote:its important to remember that he's playing high powered gibson pickups, into the FET channel, with preamp up full, and PAB enaged, out into a 2x12 and nearly half master volume (running at 100w) and then shot with a cheap digital camera. (says so on their forum)
A quick search would show that sss are capable of breaking up, especially early ones.

What we really need is a clean demo (since thats the sss tone people seem to identify with the most) with a strat; and recorded in a decent setting.

Undecided for you, that is. I have played them, they do break up, but not like that. First hand experience from my end. What is your first hand experience with the Dumble SSS?

Jelle
musicmaddness2011

jelle wrote:
musicmaddness2011 wrote:its important to remember that he's playing high powered gibson pickups, into the FET channel, with preamp up full, and PAB enaged, out into a 2x12 and nearly half master volume (running at 100w) and then shot with a cheap digital camera. (says so on their forum)

Undecided for you, that is. I have played them, they do break up, but not like that. First hand experience from my end. What is your first hand experience with the Dumble SSS?

Jelle
Have you played #2? Of which this one is a copy?

Brandon stated many times that #2 had some weird stuff goin on under the hood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4zp6xA ... re=related

Mayer, sss #2, Humbucker pickups, normal input with boost and driver pedal and maybe a fuzz pedal. distortion.

Now imagine that through FET, with pab engaged.

To my ear, if you took out the fuzz it would be very similar.

Furthermore ive heard many two rock sterlings (also a blended copy of this amp) distort to the same levels too.

Not to mention all the distortion added by the shitty camera.

All im saying is to just wait and see... lets not judge until we know for sure.

I know some people here dont like Nik, but i doubt he would release one that isnt a faithful re-creation when he knows that people will rip it to shreds for the slightest flaw.
Considering this is a big ticket item for him - i believe he'd make sure its near 100% before he releases.
Max

Post by Max »

musicmaddness2011 wrote:What we really need is a clean demo (since thats the sss tone people seem to identify with the most)
IMO this is a misunderstanding that's probably caused by the fact that SRV used what's more like a version of a Dumbleland Special with an additional FET input and a reverb, but with a "Steel String Singer" label on it (IMO "King Tone Consoul" is perhaps the better name for this special kind of custom made amp than "Steel String Singer").

And because of this misunderstanding many people now think: Typical SSS sound = SRV. But SRV's "Steel String Singer" is IMO a Dumbleland Special in disguise.

The only recorded examples of the "clean" sound of a more usual kind of SSS you'll find IMO on some of the Nashville tracks of Larry Carlton's "Renegade Gentleman". Or does someone here know of other guitar tracks that have for sure been recorded by using one of the more usual Steel String Singers in their clean mode?

So if someone should be interested in a clone that's able to deliver the SRV kind of tone, that's often (and IMO wrongly) identified with "the" SSS tone, I would perhaps recommend cloning the circuit of a Dumbleland Special 150W, because AFAIK SRV didn't use the FET input and the reverb of his Steel String Singer very often anyway. And to place an FET input in front of the tube preamp of a Dumbleland Special won't perhaps be that much of a problem for someone familiar with the circuits of Dumble amps and who should perhaps like such a feature.

Cheers,

Max
musicmaddness2011

Max wrote:
musicmaddness2011 wrote:What we really need is a clean demo (since thats the sss tone people seem to identify with the most)
IMO this is a misunderstanding that's probably caused by the fact that SRV used what's more like a version of a Dumbleland Special with an additional FET input and a reverb, but with a "Steel String Singer" label on it (IMO "King Tone Consoul" is perhaps the better name for this special kind of custom made amp than "Steel String Singer").

And because of this misunderstanding many people now think: Typical SSS sound = SRV. But SRV's "Steel String Singer" is IMO a Dumbleland Special in disguise.

The only recorded examples of the "clean" sound of a more usual kind of SSS you'll find IMO on some of the Nashville tracks of Larry Carlton's "Renegade Gentleman". Or does someone here know of other guitar tracks that have for sure been recorded by using one of the more usual Steel String Singers in their clean mode?

So if someone should be interested in a clone that's able to deliver the SRV kind of tone, that's often (and IMO wrongly) identified with "the" SSS tone, I would perhaps recommend cloning the circuit of a Dumbleland Special 150W, because AFAIK SRV didn't use the FET input and the reverb of his Steel String Singer very often anyway. And to place an FET input in front of the tube preamp of a Dumbleland Special won't perhaps be that much of a problem for someone familiar with the circuits of Dumble amps and who should perhaps like such a feature.

Cheers,

Max

The only 100% a SSS recording i know of that is mostly clean is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g7J9q8ePkg

there's a lot more playing in part 2 of the video which is also on youtube, but just try ignore him and listen to the guitar.

But you never know what they may have added in production

As Nik's SSS is a clone of this model, it should sound somewhat like this at the end. as you can hear there is a bit of growl to it.

Btw Max, after you mentioned the 'renegade gentleman' album last time, i went out and grabbed it for a listen. Love it!
haha 'love cold day in hell' !!
Thanks for the recommendation :)
jelle

Post by jelle »

Dear Musicmadness2011,

To answer your question: I have not played Dumble SSS sn#2.

Which specific Dumble SSS amplifiers have you played?

Jelle
ER

Post by ER »

Hi Max- I saw El rayo X play a number of times, sometimes with only the SSS. Mr. Dave would make a big deal out of the intro and really crank it up to get it humming (or singing), taking a few theatrical moments to dial in the amp to get that sound.

The shear volume and the tone to me sound like the SSS, here's one night where the stage had more of #8? going to the house, sounds quite different; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8El8T_Flquc

I agree, probably 90% (Mr. Mayer included) that are chasing the "SSS tone" are really looking for a dumbleland with some post production reverb thrown in- Heck a Dumbleland was even what SRV himself REALLY wanted in the first place. To me SRV tone never sounded better than the Texas Flood recordings and his later big stage rig with the dumbles was way too loud and didn't sound all that great to my ears, he even had to resort to plexiglass panels etc. to keep from laying waste to the front seats.

If you already have your #1 copy, period correct tube screamer, and kimono, spend your $2K on a custom shop vibroverb.

https://bbs.guitarchina.com/thread-1231287-1-2.html some good pics and clips.

-ER
Last edited by ER on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.