2nd Gen ODS in CE Chassis

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

David Root

Re: 2nd Gen ODS in CE Chassis

Post by David Root »

Can't hide anything from you guys!

Yes there are a couple of Takman CFs in there, didn't have Pihers in the right wattage, the PI tail 22K because it needed to be 1W (12AT7 PI, 0.6W dissipation in the tail) and I wanted a CF not an MF there. The other one is the 1M in the loop, figured the loop is not supposed to alter the amp's basic tone so I used an audio grade CF there. I can't tell them from a Riken myself, those latter are indeed the the big dark blue ones.
Given my druthers I'd use Piher CFs and Electra MFs all day if I could. There are also an old Resista and an old Draloric, can U find 'em? And the 6L6 grid resistors are Iskra.

The last time the CE guys did a run I piggybacked a special order for ten 4-hole chassis as I think the internal active loop is a good addition to these amps and to me makes a lot more sense than a separate unit. So they can still do them but you might have to buy a few.

Or if you don't want the active loop you can use the 4th hole for a direct coupled driver like a 12BZ7/12BU7.
tictac

Post by tictac »

David,

You mentioned a "Normster's active loop" I've done some searches but can't find anything on that. Is that something to do with a DLite variation of some kind? :?

Thanks and very nice build..... :D

TT
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

Loves me some 2nd gen.
Nice David!
Awhile back I replaced all plate and cathode resistors on my 2nd gen with the Electra MF's. Don't know that it sounds any better, but it looks more authentic. :D
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
jelle

Post by jelle »

Looks great!

I have a 3rd gen that I absolutely love. Another vote for the early circuits. :D
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

David good to see you building again :D
That Red cabinet will stick out like Jimmi's pants 8)

Best regards, Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Looks great David! Man I sold you that cab a looooong time ago!!!! Great to see it in use!!! I'd love to see how you implemented that loop as well!

T
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
David Root

Post by David Root »

tictac, this is Normster's active loop. It's a distillation of the Dumbleator so it will fit inside the chassis. As you can see, it fits on the main board between the V2 cathode parts on the right and the PI entrance cap on the left, and around the V3 loop tube. He used a 10K to ground in the send side, instead of 27K, but it doesn't affect the cathode current draw much at all.

Its power supply comes off the screen node parallel to the PI node supply. I have found I get the right B+3A & B voltages with a 39K and an 82K dropper off the screen node at about 420V B+.

The three large value caps, 0.1, 0.22 and 0.47 uF need to be on the small side to fit comfortably around the tube socket. 150M 630V are too big, I use Solen MKP 630V, although in a pinch 400V will do.

Taylor, I knew that cab would find a home eventually and it looks right with a 2nd gen build. Would be fine with first or third gen too I think.

Jelle, I am going to have to look at a 3rd gen now I have some 2-35 pots!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tictac

Post by tictac »

Thanks for that info.....
Regan

Post by Regan »

David,
It looks even more amazing in person than in pictures, I can't wait to try it out soon! Peter needs a matching cab though :)
Regan
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Regan wrote:David,
It looks even more amazing in person than in pictures, I can't wait to try it out soon! Peter needs a matching cab though :)
Regan
Ohhh yes he does!!!! Muhaha
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
lpd

Post by lpd »

Took some experimenting to dial the amp in as I have discovered how everything seems to have an impact on the overall tone. Used the tutorial on an Dumbleator to get a ballpark start and fine tuned to personal taste. The more I play it the better it sounds. My wife was texting me in my man cave at 12:00am to retire lol!!! Great amp David.

A matching cab? I may need some bell bottoms :)
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

that is a seriously sweet build. I have a 2nd gen on my list, still debating chassis and layout. Some great ideas there, and definitely a high bar of quality. It deserves one of Taylor's sweet cabs indeed! Thanks for sharing.