PCB based Dumbles

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rootz

Re: PCB based Dumbles

Post by rootz »

Sorry I left you hanging there with your request. Let me see if I can add the Visio file from mobile.

Edit, no. Will make a zip on my pc.
rootz

Post by rootz »

There it is, I hope still in time enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks rootz! You da man!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
rootz

Post by rootz »

Dorrisant, are you thinking about building an amp with these PCB's? I do have the layout files from Eagle too if you want them. I also have extra files for a reverb board, much like the amp I just did in the other topic. It's almost an add on board for an amp like this PCB based one.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I have boards made and revisions from where I found mistakes in those, but I'm always interested in seeing how others have done better. :wink: I certainly won't tell you not to share em. ;)

What inspired my request was looking for more building blocks for Visio. Just getting into trying to do layouts with it.

Thanks again!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Todd Hepler

Post by Todd Hepler »

I would very much be interested in the reverb version of this layout as I am interested in learning PCB construction.

Thanks,

Todd
rootz

Post by rootz »

There you go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lothy

Post by Lothy »

Greetings,

looks nice, but how to change parts without lifting the boards?
No option for me...

Cheers
Gerhard
rootz

Post by rootz »

That is impossible indeed Gerhard. One work around I see would be to NOT what the bridge wires between the pcb’s and sockets around the socket lugs like Dumble does. That is a pain in the ***!

Another possibility is to use preamp tube sockets that mount on the inside of the chassis.

Or you just don’t change parts 😁😁
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

rootz wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:11 pm That is impossible indeed Gerhard. One work around I see would be to NOT what the bridge wires between the pcb’s and sockets around the socket lugs like Dumble does. That is a pain in the ***!

Another possibility is to use preamp tube sockets that mount on the inside of the chassis.

Or let them make by a pcb manufacturer with plated through holes. :)
Lothy

Post by Lothy »

rootz wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:11 pm
That's exactly what I want. But unfortunately that's not how things come up with (my) builds….

It is not a mass production amp, where you exactly know what values to go for (with all that compromises we all like to avoid).
So there should be a way to easily change parts that are obvious for sound tweaking, or tend to fail after a while (e. g. filtercaps).

But I understand, it Looks so much neater with that nice fitting boards.

Cheers
Gerhard
rootz

Post by rootz »

Pcb makes tweaking an amp more difficult, that’s especially true with non-eyelet boards like these. You want a clone of The Don or Hoyt Axton’s amp? Build it like this. You want tweak ability, but still pcb’s: do all the holes with eyelets (or bigger through plates holes). That’s more SSS style.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Anyone interested in a set of PCBs with eyelets?
rootz

Post by rootz »

Last week I had this thought: why not just do a small run of boards of The Don or Axton amp? Well... they are here. The boards are still in testing phase and a bit altered from the original. All holes are through plated like Erwin suggested. So swapping parts is easy enough. There are no eyelets, but all holes where eyelets should be have the same dimensions as them. This set of boards IS tweakable! The OD relay is not as per original either, but the later 4th gen wiring. This grounds the OD input on clean.

The top left board is an add on reverb. 12at7 driver and recovery, 12ax7 dry and reverb 'tweed style' mixer. Much like the SSS or Wonderland topology. This is one of the best sounding reverbs I've heard to date.

Let's see how the testing phase pans out. I hope this ends up as a small production run. (probably without the UL marking, oops!)
dreric

Post by dreric »

Very cool, I'd be interested in a board set.

Eric
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440