Dumble #20 For Sale

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donvan

Dumble #20 For Sale

Post by donvan »

This video has been around since August but I just stumbled onto it. To my ears, the overdrive channel doesn't have the usual Dumble magic. Could be because it isn't being demonstrated properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfL8BjiQbgs

Asking price is $69,995. Was originally a combo and these guys had it changed to a head and speaker cab.
https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/ampli ... -0020.html
professormudd

Re: Dumble #20 For Sale

Post by professormudd »

I thought it sounded nice. I am real tempted to max out a credit card.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

To my ears, the overdrive channel doesn't have the usual Dumble magic.
Seemed like an OK nice amp, but I didn't hear anything super remarkable either.

With respect, 10thtx
Felipe

Post by Felipe »

I liked the clean but nothing remarkable, but the overdrive tones are far from the great tones you'd expect from this type of amp. Dumbles might be the most sensible amps in terms of tuning and adjustments, and while Dream Guitars is one of the most respected shops in the world, their focus is almost completely on high end acoustic guitars; so I'd guess this amp has a lot more potential in hands of someone used to the basic D topology.
oj

Post by oj »

mid cut ,,,,that was a new for me :)
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Nice clean, awful overdrive. How is an early eighties amp #20?
CW
Max

Post by Max »

Question:
Charlie Wilson wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:32 am... How is an early eighties amp #20?
Answer:
donvan wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:05 pmWas originally a ... [Max: 70s] ... combo and these guys ... [Max: "Vintone Circuits"] ... had it changed to a head and speaker cab.
Pictures of OD-50W #0020 in a combo-cabinet: http://www.amparchives.com/folder/2475/

All the best and lots of fun!

Max
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

The guy in the video stated that it was an early eighties overdrive special or did I misunderstand. OK watched the video again, it is described as a 80's overdrive special which obviously it is not. Max, I'm not sure where the "70's" part of your response to my question came from. :? Also, the speaker in the Amp Archive photo does not have the same speaker as the two twelve cabinet. Sorry, but this amp has been messed with, possibly more than is described in the video.
CW
Last edited by Charlie Wilson on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blacksto99

Post by Blacksto99 »

I saw it on the Internet many years ago and it seems to be updated to the "skyline"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yeah, like I said "messed with". Maybe started out as a 2nd Gen from the 70s, then in the eighties modified by Dumble to a Skyline but there is some unDumble looking stuff in there. Romex buss bar?
CW
talbany

Post by talbany »

This was actually one of the 1st pictures of the inside of an actual ODS I've seen. IIRC The picture was taken during servicing update (Electrolytics) and some other mods.along with some cosmetic re-clothing, new faceplates and the 2X12 Cabinet. Interesting that the big white plate resistors were the same ones used in ODSR#60 (Oil Fills)
I think the owners name was Tim McGrath? .. This was a long time ago and don't hold me to it. Here it is in a bit higher Rez.

Tony
Dumble.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by talbany on Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hmmm, needs a little more filtering. :D
CW
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:35 am Hmmm, needs a little more filtering. :D
CW
Why do you say that? By how it sounds :D

Im tellin ya up the screens! :lol:

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I think Charlie is referring to the 2 x 550uf filter caps.
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

Aaron wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:48 am I think Charlie is referring to the 2 x 550uf filter caps.
wow thats crazy... i wonder if thats a mod.. thats way too much. wonder what happened to the original caps.