Fuchs Dumble Clone

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

FUCHSAUDIO

Re: Fuchs Dumble Clone

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Koop_m wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:31 am Well, Fuchs apparently does and they go after other guys making clones or clone kits using the OVERDRIVE SPECIAL name.
Entirely false. I have requested (for example) that Brown Note stopped using 'ODS" on his amps and Moss complied willingly. He never knew the mark was mine or that it was even trademarked. I called-out Shad who had ODS on a few panels, and he stopped. I have never policed Overdrive Special, because it's not mine to police. A few people do "OSD" or people like Marsh doing "Overlord Supreme" on his Ceriatone rebranded clones. I resisted legal action when his wife started crying on the phone... :shock: .

I have contacted various pedal makers about using ODS on pedals as well, but since they are mostly in Asia, it's difficult, if not impossible to police it. I myself was confronted by Peavey over the use of Supreme, and we were legally found to be able to use it. I was happy to see the guys who cloned Analog Mike's KOT got their pedals smashed by customs though recently ! :)
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

JD0x0 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:14 pm Oh wow, didnt expect to see him do an amp with a fake faceplate like that. I've seen people give a lot of flak for doing that even if they're honest about it not being a genuine Dumble.

In the ad it was clearly stated it wasn't a D*mble. The plastic panel is the giveaway. The rear panel is noticeably different too. Not even a remote attempt to pass it off as being a real D*mble.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I, for one, did not know that whole ODS trademark saga, so thanks for posting. I'm not too surprised by how it went ;^)
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

martin manning wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:43 pm The Reverb listing is Andy's, not Smitty's. I would say selling production amps with HAD's name on the front panel is a bridge too far, but sorta ok if it's just for personal use, provided there is a clear indication that the amp was built by someone other than HAD so it can't be mistaken for an original; It might get sold to someone else later. Chassis are available printed that way, as are replica Fender chassis and faceplates. Mojo no longer sells replica Fender chassis, so Fender probably decided they were a big enough problem to go after them.

It's funny, most of the D-clones I made were for myself, just for fun. The irony was how my ex-wife would say "your amps do more and sound better for your playing, why bother, and would you take an amp with HIS name on a gig and not yours ?"...true. This particular amp is so obviously NOT a Dumb*e, it's almost laughable. I have made a few replicas that (other than the PC board inside) were not detectable from the real thing...just for fun...it's like a Max '59 Les Paul, in it's own way.

BTW: I was not aware Mojo stopped making Fender chassis. Thankfully, there's a guy on E-bay (whom Mojo bought from) who still sells them, and plenty of Fender cabinet clone makers out there...
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

martin manning wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:21 pm I, for one, did not know that whole ODS trademark saga, so thanks for posting. I'm not too surprised by how it went ;^)

Dumble never used 'ODS' on anything, so there was no trademark filed either. ODS and ODSR etc, were just shortened designations for longer names. Overdrive Supreme and ODS were offshoots of Overdrive Special for sure....
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:29 pmBTW: I was not aware Mojo stopped making Fender chassis. Thankfully, there's a guy on E-bay (whom Mojo bought from) who still sells them, and plenty of Fender cabinet clone makers out there...
Mojo still sells Fender chassis, but the faceplates no longer have the Fender logo stuff on them. Their chassis were never really close to Fenders, except for the overall dimensions. The guy in Thailand still sells really nice repros, though.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

jelle wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:38 pm
Smitty wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:03 pm What is the intellectual property that Howard owns?
Its Alexander Dumble as far as I know, and he owns the sole right to use the DUMBLE brand on Musical Equipment.
Reread the above.
CW
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

jelle wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:49 pm
Charlie Wilson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:28 am Is this a real Dumble or a reproduction?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Y3lHpKXWY
CW
Its a counterfeit amp, made in California. Its pretty easy to spot to the trained eye.
I don't think Doug Doppler got the memo.
CW
jelle

Post by jelle »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:56 pm
jelle wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:38 pm
Smitty wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:03 pm What is the intellectual property that Howard owns?
Its Alexander Dumble as far as I know, and he owns the sole right to use the DUMBLE brand on Musical Equipment.
Reread the above.
CW
I am not following....
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Jelle, I was just trying to reiterate that it doesn't matter if an amp is "obviously" a copy, you don't put a legally protected name/brand on it if it is not your own. My clip example was to illustrate that sometimes even a seasoned pro guitarist may not know whether they are playing through the real deal or a copy.
CW
bepone

Post by bepone »

i don't know how anyone can write by dumble if it's not a dumble. nothing positive here
romberg

Post by romberg »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:07 pm
jelle wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:49 pm
Charlie Wilson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:28 am Is this a real Dumble or a reproduction?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Y3lHpKXWY
CW
Its a counterfeit amp, made in California. Its pretty easy to spot to the trained eye.
I don't think Doug Doppler got the memo.
CW
That's kinda a shame. Those few videos are the best demonstration of how the controls operate that I am aware of. Back in 2012 no one was raising any eye brows about it not being the real mcoy:

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17129

Did Henry Kaiser aquire a clone under the assumption that it was the real deal? Isn't Henry the guy in the video with Mr. Dumble talking about crystal lattices? Kinda interested in the story behind this if anyone has a link.

Mike
drew

Post by drew »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:59 pm
Secondly. why it's necessary to post pics from a nearly year-old Reverb listing escapes me but (as Jelle pointed out), it's so blatantly obvious that it's not a real D*mble it's silly.
You’re still trading off his name to help sell a product, which is in the same category of product that his trademark is associated with. You don’t get a pass just because it’s not an exact, art forger level, visual clone. If you tried to sell amps that looked like Fender twins but had “Vox AC30” badges on them, do you think whoever owns Vox now would just shrug and say “it’s fine; it’s obviously not one of ours”? [Narrator: “they would not.”]
Yes, I own ODS (c) as a trademark, as well as the many product names we make like Overdrive Supreme, Clean Machine, Mantis, Verbrator, etc....
And, if anybody started slapping those names on their own amplifiers, even if not exact clones, and flogging them on Reverb, you would justified - legally obligated, in fact, if you wanted to continue to own those names - in making them stop.
Max

Post by Max »

• Items that infringe on trademarks. We typically request that the intellectual property owner provide us with proof of their legal right, but provided they do so, we will remove listings that appear to infringe

https://reverb.com/page/prohibited-items-policy#illegal
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

bepone wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:25 pm i don't know how anyone can write by dumble if it's not a dumble. nothing positive here
I guess the same way, how you see 'Shelby Cobra' kit car replicas listed as "Shelby Cobra kit car replica" when they are sold, even though they weren't built by Carol Shelby. People in the automotive realm don't seem to get upset about it as long as they're honest about what it is.
Untitledyfd7s56rdujydu6sysuyuik.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them