Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

hipbluescat

Celestion gh65 v Scumbacks v Austin speaker works v Weber

Post by hipbluescat »

Hello

I want to put together a 2 by 12 cab.

What is the differences among all these for the same style of speaker ?

With a Dumble clone amp what would be best ?

I am frustrated and confused by all this choice.

Can some one guide me through the maze please.

http://guitar25.com/categories.php?category=9
Structo

Re: Celestion gh65 v Scumbacks v Austin speaker works v Weber

Post by Structo »

From all I have read the G12-65 gets the biggest nod for the Dumble style amps.[/img]
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

Im sure many will disagree but I do like the g12 65. What I dont like in a d style amp is the EV.

I bought a fuchs and a 1/12ev cab.I just couldnt warm up to the clean sound of the amp so I sold the fuchs.

A little while later I heard someone play a fuchs thru another cab and Ioved it-even the clean. I think if I just tried different speakers I'd still have the amp but Andy convinced me I need the EV for the dumble overdrive sound.

I no longer have a dumble style amp but I now have a pair of weber g1265 in my Carr slant 6 and its great clean and dirty with a D style pedal. Im having the overdrive section rebult to ODS specs this week so I'll know more about how those speakers sound with a D style OD.

I also like the g12H30 and I think my favorite speaker so far is the cannabis rex. I have those in my pro reverb and with a zend pedal its a perfect match.

Im sure some of the hardcore D amp builders can give you exact info on your quest.
AdrianJ

Post by AdrianJ »

What I would like to know is how the Celestion G12-65 copes with cleans.

I'm going to want Fender-esque cleans when I build my ODS clone and wonder how this speaker copes.

I'm especially keen on Celestion if I can get the sound I want, because I'm in the UK so they're easily available!!
hipbluescat

Post by hipbluescat »

My question is what is teh difference between all these manufactures of the "same" copy of the Celestion Gh12 65?
AdrianJ

Post by AdrianJ »

hipbluescat wrote:My question is what is teh difference between all these manufactures of the "same" copy of the Celestion Gh12 65?
And is the Two Rock TR1265 also a clone of this same Celestion?
thyx

re

Post by thyx »

Try a G12-80 from the early 80's. Failing that, maybe a Mesa Black Shadow from that same time period.
Stanz

Post by Stanz »

I built a non-hrm 50W combo with a G12-65 and the cleans are really nice. Better than an eminence RWB. I usually play it with three gain stages, clean, OD, OD w/PAB, and it goes through all three very well. The shifts are very subtle and not so obvious, except hearing more sustain, but the tone is fairly constant through all three. This is was a new out of the box G12-65. It has broken in very nicely.

Guitar is an old Ibanez Artist with new DiMarzio PU. Also has a great clean tone with the rhy pu switched to single coil with deep and bright both engaged.
'67_Plexi

Re: Celestion gh65 v Scumbacks v Austin speaker works v Webe

Post by '67_Plexi »

hipbluescat wrote:Hello

I want to put together a 2 by 12 cab.

What is the differences among all these for the same style of speaker ?

With a Dumble clone amp what would be best ?

I am frustrated and confused by all this choice.

Can some one guide me through the maze please.

http://guitar25.com/categories.php?category=9
There's one speaker choice above and beyond all for most Dumble style circuits, the EVM-12L, it simply is the worlds best guitar speaker.
The Celestion Classic Lead 80W is pretty cool to, especially in an open back 2x12.
Closed back I always use EVM-12L.

I went through some speaker developments with Austin Speaker works. Awesome and knowledgable guys, I just ending up still preferring the 12L by a large margin. The Austin guys were more in to the Celestion thing though.

I did try the 1265 and thought it sounded sort of OK , but not for that money, though I have customers who swear by them. Same with golds, they had too much mid range. Absolutely nothing by Emi has sounded good to me and I've tried around 15 different models in all sorts of combinations. Bright and harsh are the two most common adjectives that sprung to mind.