Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: New ReleaSSSes

Post by LeftyStrat »

Max wrote: In regard to Dumble amps I would recommend never to forget this:

"Basically, I've kept the Overdrive the same but the other models are open to flexibility." Guitar Player Magazine - September 1985

source of this quote: http://www.roblivesey.com/dumble/ - "Articles"

Cheers,

Max
You know Max, I'm glad you brought this up. We now have basic topologies for three SSS's, and every one of them are very different. My appreciation of the talent of Mr Dumble is growing exponentially looking at these schematics.

I think we may ultimately find that unlike the "generations" of the ODS, every SSS is going to be completely different.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

10thTx, The line coming from the v3a plate should connect to the grid of v3b.

Still working through things.
bcook

Post by bcook »

#8 bias circuit: the connection should be from the end of the winding, not a tap. Make the cap 10uf/450v.
Thanks much for tackling this!
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

I was looking at some old threads on the SSS. Max had posted a spec sheet that included this tube complement:

4 x 7025 high-mu twin triodes
1 x 5751 high-mu twin triode
4 x 6550A beam power tubes

Obviously this is the later 150 watt designs. Just thought the use of the 5751 is interesting. Would he have used that for the reverb driver?
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

This drawing is based on what LeftyStrat posted here:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17827

I tried to redraw it into a preamp section & then an LTPI to PA section. My effort was to just recreate the topology for us to look at. I wanted something easier to read then the original hand drawn schematic.

I presume that this schematic has ERRORS in it. I would encourage you to assume there are ERRORS!

This is NOT intended as a correct guide to build an SSS type amp.

So I am simply reposting what LeftyStrat posted for the purpose of discussion.

Anyone who has a better idea of what might be correct, please feel free to use the attached editable version to redraw a correction.

I have no interest in building this amp. I simply redrew it to help contribute to some constructive conversation.

Corrections noted and made ! Revision #6 4-18

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 10thTx on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

In the newest revision, on the reverb recovery stage, the jack should be attached to the grid, not the plate.
markusw

Post by markusw »

10thTx, in the bias supply, the cap following the diode should be 10u/450V instead of 10u/100V.

Regards,

Markus
markusw

Post by markusw »

martin manning wrote:Markus, I'm interested in the LTSpice file... I though about doing one myself, and found a 12BH7, but it needs a little work to create a symbol, etc. I'm working on something else right now, but following along with interest, and will be glad to help where I can.

Anyone have a link to info or schematic of another amp with that type of power stage topology?
Martin, I found two 12BH7 models and realised it's not that hard to integrate them into LTSpice as ".inc" files. As a symbol I used the "generic" triode symbol from Duncan's site.
Interestingly, with both models the voltages on the 12BH7 cathodes are way off (~ -17V to ~ -21V compared to ~ -40V indicated in the hand drawn schematics of SSS #002) while the grid voltages are quite OK (~-44V).
With the 12AX7 model for the CF driver the cathode voltages are in the range of ~ -41V.
Is it confirmed that the CF driver is indeed a 12BH7 in SSS #002?
Max wrote that "AFAIK Alexander Dumble usually specified a 7025 phase inverter and a 7025 driver for the 100W SSSs with such a phase inverter / driver configuration. "

Regards,

Markus
markusw

Post by markusw »

markusw wrote:10thTx, in the bias supply, the cap following the diode should be 10u/450V instead of 10u/100V.

Regards,

Markus
The connection of the high filter pole to "green" is missing.
Deep switch: the 10n/1Meg combo should not be connected directly to gnd.

Regards,

Markus
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Made more noted corrections and reposted in previous post.

10thtx
David Root

Post by David Root »

On the B+ rail, the H node needs a 270K balancing resistor across the lower cap.

I doubt that the driver in 002 is a 12BH7. That spice simulation strongly suggests that the driver position is set up for a 12AX7/7025.
I used a 12BZ7 in my 001 build, and I tried a 12BH7 in it just for giggles and it did not work right, gave wrong bias voltages just like the spice simulation did. There is just so much difference between the 12BH7 and the 12AX7/12BZ7 that it's not surprising to me.

HAD used the 12BH7 in the 150W SSS like SRV's, which is really a Dumbleland bass amp with a guitar preamp. Bass power amps need extra current draw from the driver and the 12BH7 is a very good way to get that.
markusw

Post by markusw »

David Root wrote:On the B+ rail, the H node needs a 270K balancing resistor across the lower cap.

I doubt that the driver in 002 is a 12BH7. That spice simulation strongly suggests that the driver position is set up for a 12AX7/7025.
I used a 12BZ7 in my 001 build, and I tried a 12BH7 in it just for giggles and it did not work right, gave wrong bias voltages just like the spice simulation did. There is just so much difference between the 12BH7 and the 12AX7/12BZ7 that it's not surprising to me.

HAD used the 12BH7 in the 150W SSS like SRV's, which is really a Dumbleland bass amp with a guitar preamp. Bass power amps need extra current draw from the driver and the 12BH7 is a very good way to get that.
Good to know that the Spice simulation appears to be right!
Thanks a lot! :)
markusw

Post by markusw »

Here are some images from LTSpice.

For all images bass, mid, treble, volume and level were set to 50%.
Frequency response is shown at the OPT.

First the high and low filters.
For high filter stepping the low filter was at position 4, for low filter stepping the high filter was at position 2.

Below the deep switch, once with a 1Meg volume pot, once with a 100k volume pot.
With a 100k the deep switch has barely an influence on the frequency response.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Very nice Marcus. Thanks!

A few posts back I listed the tube complement that HAD advertised at one time. The only noval other than the 12ax7 was the 5751. I'm assuming he used this as the reverb driver. Nice to see the simulation predicting that.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

This is simply a DRAFT idea. It has NOT been built and is not a proven design.

I thought I'd post it strictly as a discussion point. It eliminates the reverb and buffer from the #002. I'd rather have an active FX to insert a delay pedal. Reduces the 100w to 50w. Adds a PAB.

The smoothing cap across the PI plate resistor works. I use this on my amps. Also I found that placing the smoothing cap after (vs. before) the LTPI coupling caps does make a significant difference in tone. Placing the cap between the LTPI and coupling cap muffles the tone, IMO.

I am not sure the filter is drawn correctly? And I don't know if the bias would need to be changed? (I am thinking it would need a change?) The attached SCH file has the PT & B+ rail draft.

With respect, 10thtx