Starting a D'Lite

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bluesfendermanblues

Re: Starting a D'Lite

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Depending on the brightness of your amp/guitar/speaker combination, you might want some smoothining in the chain somewhere....'bad cable' with high pf, can be one of those.

In my Dlator, (which is run in parallel mode with effect/dry ratio done in the d'lator as opposed to mixing in the effects unit), I've added a 100 pf across the return input, to compensate for not having the direct signal running 4 feet worth of high pf cable. The result; it really takes out the edginess of running a 57' RI strat through a #124 clone through a Thiele EV12L cab. ....guess changing the 40pf on the master volume for 15pf, would do the same smoothening.
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

In my Dlator, (which is run in parallel mode with effect/dry ratio done in the d'lator as opposed to mixing in the effects unit)
How did you set that up?
I love my rail tone amp!
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

JimiB wrote:
In my Dlator, (which is run in parallel mode with effect/dry ratio done in the d'lator as opposed to mixing in the effects unit)
How did you set that up?
As you can see on the schemo, all I did was adding a 220k serial resistor and 'moving' the return volume from after V1b to before V1b. Hereto adding a small capacitor compensating for the lack of high end loss, from not having the direct signal travelling through feets of cable. You can off course leave that out if you want to preserve high end.

I have left out the bright switches. I never use them and don't think anybody does really.

The cathode resistor combo on V1a can be either 27K/1.8K or 10K/1.5K as per the 'official' schematic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dreric

Post by dreric »

Getting down to the final (lol) parts order and the one part I can't seem to find is the 100k trimmer in the OD network

Help? anyone got it handy?

Eric
Pete

Post by Pete »

dreric wrote:Getting down to the final (lol) parts order and the one part I can't seem to find is the 100k trimmer in the OD network

Help? anyone got it handy?

Eric
Something like this? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pih ... hB9g%3d%3d

from: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/640/714.pdf
Structo

Post by Structo »

I prefer the horizontal mount 100K.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pih ... pnRA%3d%3d
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dreric

Post by dreric »

Thank you 2X

Almost ready to build!

Eric
dreric

Post by dreric »

I am just about ready to start a build based on the layout and schematic below. Before I take the plunge are there any warnings, caveats, suggestions or opinions about the build?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

talbany wrote:If you take a look at any footage or for me had the giant ceiling covered picture of Hendrix playing Woodstock (Cool Poster).. Ever notice the cable he used.. That giant coil like on your telephone handset in the 70's... :lol:
If you took that cable and stretched it out he could probably run back and forth on the stage 3 times...Those things for capacitance were the worst...I remember reading in one of his interviews that what went with him aside from his guitars were a suitcase with a few Dallas Fuzz Faces a Wah RM Octavia and that big ass cable with the built in treble bleeder... Stevie was the same way.Cesar go to Radio Shack and pick me out the cheapest cord on sale.. .So I doubt 8' of cheap Beldon will keep anyone up nights..

Tony
Hendrix once said that the combination of the Strat and Marhsall was just way too much treble. I've seen a closeup of his amp that shows the setting, volume 10, treble 0 middle 5 bass 10. Tried it, with a coil cord and guess what, sounded just like Jimi :oops: Ok nothing like Jimi.

Back in the 60's we all used those coil cords. It was to prevent the cable dance, you know, were you step on your own cable, fall down, rip the jack outta your only guitar and disconnect from the amp all in one step. :roll:
IcemanB52

Caveats

Post by IcemanB52 »

dreric wrote:I am just about ready to start a build based on the layout and schematic below. Before I take the plunge are there any warnings, caveats, suggestions or opinions about the build?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Used this plan for my build and it produced a fantastic sounding amp! If you follow the schematic, the presence pot is NOT wired as shown in the layout.
IcemanB52

Caveats

Post by IcemanB52 »

dreric wrote:I am just about ready to start a build based on the layout and schematic below. Before I take the plunge are there any warnings, caveats, suggestions or opinions about the build?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Used this plan for my build and it produced a fantastic sounding amp! If you follow the schematic, the presence pot is NOT wired as shown in the layout.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

On the schematic there's a jumper between the 1st and 2nd lug on the bass pot. On the tweaked layout it's not there. Who knows which is correct? On my tweaked d'lite I put the jumper in. I may try cutting it out.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Here's my amp,
dreric

Post by dreric »

Chip

Thanks for posting and sharing your build. Looks like you added a second trimmer in the PI section (why?????) and the middle toggle seems different than the layout.

Did you put all this together yourself or did you go with a kit? Turrets! love the way they look! I got a chassis and boards set from RJ and am gathering parts as we speak.

Did you use an alpha 2K for the presence?

Eric
Structo

Post by Structo »

The pot below the board is the bias pot.

Looks like you grabbed the layout that I corrected.

Some of them had the Standby and OT CT wrong, the one you posted is correct.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!