Latin Time!! New amp tweaks sound spicy!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

G-Dorian

Re: Latin Time!! New amp tweaks sound spicy!

Post by G-Dorian »

I definitely like clip 2 better than 1. I personally don't like the hair.
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

This is a hair splitting excercise as they are both excellent in the tone and playing department. I slightly prefer the second one as it seems the tone is rounder, the mix favors the guitar, and I hear a really nice verb going on behind it in the beginning that may be swaying my opinion slightly. I would like them both even more if I could hear some feedback on the ends of some of the notes, but then that's just the armchair producer in me as I am sure you could do that if you wanted to. :wink: Thanks for the posts...
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
jerrydyer

Post by jerrydyer »

it is a little spicey innit it great tone
tomrasdf

Post by tomrasdf »

Alright, you really need to tell me what you changed between those 2 clips.

I definitely prefer the second clip as the first one seems to have just a little bit of peach fuzz on top. Much more clarity on the second. I've been trying to get rid of the "peach fuzz" on 80s BM since I built it with no luck.

Mind sharing the love? (great playing, by the way)
"In this world you will find hardship and trials; but take heart, for I have conqured the world."
John 16:33
ayan

Post by ayan »

tomrasdf wrote:I've been trying to get rid of the "peach fuzz" on 80s BM since I built it with no luck.
You have an 80s amp, non HRM and a BM PI? If so, I recommend you go back to the PI which Dumble used on those amps and listen. The sound will be smoother. Curious, what 80s build are you using, 200K/150K or 100K?

Gil
tomrasdf

Post by tomrasdf »

Curious, what 80s build are you using, 200K/150K or 100K?
100k. I like the clean much better. I'll play around with the PI. I don't have a 5k pot for the presence and I'm not oging to be placing an order any time soon, so it might be a little bit...
"In this world you will find hardship and trials; but take heart, for I have conqured the world."
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

tomrasdf wrote:I've been trying to get rid of the "peach fuzz" on 80s BM since I built it with no luck.
I am not really hearing any objectionable fuzz on Scott's first clip but I do seem to have my own similar issue to what you describe. I get some of the "peach fuzz" on the top which seems to have shown up after I went to the BM PI. It bothers me only slightly but I would rather it not be there. It is not noticeable at moderate to low volume, but seems to get worse the more I push the amp. I am thinking I fudged a bit on the values in the PI (10k instead of 9.1k, 470 vs 510) so when I get some more parts I will fix that before i do anything else. I have heard this complaint before about the BM PI, although the benefits seem to outweight this one complaint. I also am wondering if I should change my tonestack to the Fender style circuit with the .022 mid and bass caps. It is a Skyliner at the moment. Any comments on what I can expect if I make that change? My amp is a 50 watt HRM. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread...
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
tomrasdf

Post by tomrasdf »

I am thinking I fudged a bit on the values in the PI (10k instead of 9.1k, 470 vs 510)
Me too. A clue, perhaps?