Violeta - a single Ended Story

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

John_P_WI

Re: Violeta - a single Ended Story

Post by John_P_WI »

Gents,

Apologies, I have not read the whole thread but it appears the LNFB on the second stage is not wired in the usual Dumble scheme. It is "outside" of the plate load resistor and not at the coupling cap junction. Hmmm? In this application it is simply acting as a signal shunt to ground, albeit small with 44 meg of series resistance.

BTW, it is a very nice sounding amp.

John
Structo

Post by Structo »

Good catch.

Also isn't it best to have the cap connect to the plate because most 22M resistors are not rated very high for DC voltage?

So have it plate-cap-resistors-grid
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
honeydip

Like it's supposed to be

Post by honeydip »

Thank you for your answer and let me say that I wired the LNFB exactly like it's supposed to be, straight from the junction "under" the Plate resistor. So, the schematic shows it the wrong way.
The 220K/500pF is wired directly to the grid which to me was the best way to have as near as possible to the pin. The challenge with this amp was to fit all the parts in this small chassis.

Someone asked how strong the Tone-Control affects the OD Sound and I can say that's it has a lot of effect on the OD, think of D-Style OD with few high and of a grainy structure with more Highs if you turn it up. No matter what you dial in, it's always musical, I like it.

I think markus asked for a soundfile with a strat, so I composed one this morning. Again I wrote a blues, minor this time, and played all Parts with the amp and my rosewood strat. First clean than in OD-Channel. How Do you guys like it?

HoneyDip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No distortion means to tone.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I liked that.

So, how loud does this amp get?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
angelodp

Sweet amp

Post by angelodp »

Nice stuff. Are you running any wet effects at all? Hint of reverb? What settings are you at on the knobs?

A
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Schematic and layout have been edited and reposted to reflect corrections.
Also isn't it best to have the cap connect to the plate because most 22M resistors are not rated very high for DC voltage?
Take a look at this schematic, please.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/files/124_sc ... 84_208.pdf

with respect, 10thtx
markr14850

Post by markr14850 »

In this case, I think that the resistor should be dropping zero volts DC, so there should be no problem.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

10thTx and Honeydip, Thank you for all of your efforts with these great sounding smaller amps.
honeydip

Knobs and settings

Post by honeydip »

When recording I use a Shure Sm57 for the nearfield and a Kondensermic for the room. In this case I mixed just a little bit of room on to the mix and almost took 100% of the nearfield. Effectwise I just added some reverb and delay for the solo tracks, the rest is guitars and fingers.

The knobsetting can be best described with clock settings, so I had
Volume on 1 (o' clock)
Tone on 4
Gain on 2
Level on 3
Mild on 3
Master 5 (full )

The strat like more highs.

How loud is the amp? Due to the speaker RWB is quite loud. So loud that I was glad to have my closed headphones on and that my room mic (3feet away from speaker) was overloaded. I must add that I'm recording in small room. But the amp cannot compete with a drummer.

Thank you again, for correcting the schematic 10ThTx.

HoneyDip
markusw

Re: Like it's supposed to be

Post by markusw »

honeydip wrote:
Someone asked how strong the Tone-Control affects the OD Sound and I can say that's it has a lot of effect on the OD, think of D-Style OD with few high and of a grainy structure with more Highs if you turn it up. No matter what you dial in, it's always musical, I like it.

I think markus asked for a soundfile with a strat, so I composed one this morning. Again I wrote a blues, minor this time, and played all Parts with the amp and my rosewood strat. First clean than in OD-Channel. How Do you guys like it?

HoneyDip
Thank you so much for recording the Strat clip! I like it a lot! 8)
Also for sharing your observations on tone control OD interactions!

Makes me want to build this amp!

Peace,

Markus
stiltamp

Post by stiltamp »

I found by simualtion that the power transformer secondary voltage must be about 220 Volts AC for the B+ 240 Volts DC.
Is that correct?
Last edited by stiltamp on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hywelg

Post by hywelg »

The OP is in northern Germany so yes 220 is about right I think.
wicker

Post by wicker »

How does it clean up with guitar volume ? I'm considering building a simple amp without channel switching. I'm a Fender guy, and must say that this tone is great...superb playing also adds a lot.
Also, what would be best place to put reverb ? After 3rd stage and return after 4th ?
Paul
honeydip

Reverb

Post by honeydip »

The best place to install reverb is after the switch, right before the power tube.
You could use the single tube reverb which was discussed a lot and works great. IT can be found in the files section I think.

Honeydip