Steel String Singer

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stratcat62

Re: re

Post by stratcat62 »

thyx wrote:
dr. who wrote:#7 is KTC I take it? What #'s are Srv's others?
He only ever had one. He originally ordered two, but HAD ended up keeping the second one. They had a disagreement of sorts.
SRV definitely had two: a silverface and a blackface.

[img:903:700]http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... blerig.jpg[/img]
jelle

Re: Steel String Singer

Post by jelle »

And from what I read he liked the silverface one better.
thyx

re

Post by thyx »

We were talking about SSS amps being made for somebody...hence the numerical list that was started with names next to it (at least that's what I thought it was, since at least one of those guys on the list doesn't own the amp in question anymore). One of those amps in the photos was made for SRV...the other was made for somebody else (I don't know which is which). Anybody know who the other was made for? I do know SRV used one of Jackson Browns Dumbles on the first album he made...but it wasn't an SSS (Dumbleland for bass, I think).
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

pretty sure #7 is the silver one. not entireley sure on the black one.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

I'm sure some of you are way ahead of me on this, but have you looked at the "Two Rock - Sterling Signature". It is apparently a take off of the SSS. A cool looking amp for sure but the $10K price tag has me a bit dizzy...

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
FUCHSAUDIO

lol

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

RJ Guitars wrote:I'm sure some of you are way ahead of me on this, but have you looked at the "Two Rock - Sterling Signature". It is apparently a take off of the SSS. A cool looking amp for sure but the $10K price tag has me a bit dizzy...

rj

Last one I heard (at Scottl's tonefest) was unimpressive, although everyone agreed it "had to be sick"......Boxy, not much headroom, pretty boring sound. Liked the blue anodized chassis.... :)
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
talbany

Silver Singer

Post by talbany »

The silver one was Stevies first.. Right after Soul To Soul..he did a MTV Special called Guitar Gods or something like that in the 80's.. That's the first I saw of that amp... I didn't care to much for the Tones on Soul to Soul as compared to Weather..Tough following up the tone from that one... Voodoo Chile Scuttle Butt.. and Weather , Things I used to do!! were to me ..the Sheit!!!
Anyone know what amp he used on those Weather sessions...
Maybe Jackson's Dumbleand...
I've had a couple Super Twins I've modded that get pretty close to that SSS tone...In the right hands!!

Thanks
ampdan

Post by ampdan »

The best tone SRV had was before the Dumbles. The tone he got with the Fender and Marshall setup was fantastic. Everything after, not so much.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

That may have been when he was using a Tokai instead of a Fender. :lol:
stratcat62

Post by stratcat62 »

ampdan wrote:The best tone SRV had was before the Dumbles. The tone he got with the Fender and Marshall setup was fantastic. Everything after, not so much.
I just have to say that, IMHO, the greatest tone achieved by mankind is Stevie Ray Vaughan's tone at Mann Music Center on June 30, 1987 (found on the first three tracks on the 3rd disc of the SRV box set and on the Unforgettable Night bootleg album). It's different than every other tone of his I've heard. I don't know what amps he was using at the time.
Funkalicousgroove

FWIW, the SSS amps that I have experience with didn't require the "Right hands" to get the SRV tone, because I don't play a thing like SRV; nor do they require special pickups, strings ETC. That last little bit "Extra" in the SRV sound is that amp. I just plugged my strat into it with 10's on it, pretty run of the mill p'ups, and a reissue 808 tubescreamer and had Texas flood tone with minimal tweaking of knobs through a pair of EV 12's.

That being said, you should be able to get pretty darn close with a modded twin, perhaps ditch the trem and install the Ampeg style Driver stage.
talbany

Post by talbany »

OOPS!!! Sorry Hands have nothing to do with TONE!! I have been corrected!!

Tony VVT
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

Please...let's not start another "is it in the hands or the equipment" debate. I would hope that we might agree that it's probably not a completely either/or argument.
-g
talbany

Post by talbany »

Agree!!
Funkalicousgroove

Tony, way to take it personally!
Look, I've watched guys chase SRV tone for years, they put big heavy strings on their strats, play vibroverbs, supers, marshall major's, etc and they all get pretty close, but that last little bit of something you can't quite put your finger on comes from the SSS.

The SSS is SRV tone without effort, Texas flood in a can if you will