Redplate amps. Amazing tone

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

heisthl

Re: EV for the Blackloop

Post by heisthl »

wescaster wrote:Man! Out of the embarrassingly long list of amps I've tried..this Redplate is the most satisfying. I basically had Henry build me one like Garth Webbers. I loved the sound of his clips. Anyway, I'd had an old EV sitting on a shelf. I was pretty much convinced that the EV was to brittle on top for me, but I put in in a cab and it is heaven with this amp. The EV is very honest and tells you just what the amp is doing..and it's all good. Someday I'll get something recorded to post here. I'm playing a 10 pound Paul with Aero ZMD's. The cab was made by a friend of mine to the specs of the "Solar wind" cab in Kevin O'Conners book "DIY speaker cabinets for musical instrument applications"

Thanks Henry! You're a good man! :D
Wes - I'm glad the amp's working out but I've been on a Blues Cruise vacation all week and it looks like you've stolen my dog (Daisy) while I was gone!
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
honeydip

What is the PreampMaster Knob's function

Post by honeydip »

Hello Henry,

one of the pictures of your great amps BlackLoop OD has a PreampMaster Knob. I wondered what it is? Could you explain the function of it?

BTW, I enjoy listening to the soundclips of your amps and watching the pictures of your amps with the many great feature ideas :D

Thanks in advance.

Jan
No distortion means to tone.
heisthl

Re: Redplate amps. Amazing tone

Post by heisthl »

On that particular series the preamp volume and poweramp volume nomenclature were just fancy names for Send and Return. The later ones have a master volume too.
www.RedPlateAmps.com
LarryN

Post by LarryN »

I walked into my local club early this year, and saw the guitar player from Curtis Salgado's band, Jacob Petersen, playing with Janiva Magness. I was floored by his playing and his tone, through a Redplate amp. We talked for quite a while after the show and he said the speakers were a Red, White and Blues 12" and a Legend 10" ceramic (Emi's). We talked about different types of caps in different locations in the circuit, also. He uses a few choice pedals, also. (RC booster and MJM Blues Devil) Check out some Youtube clips for lots of great blues playing by Jacob and tone help from Redplate.
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

LarryN wrote:I walked into my local club early this year, and saw the guitar player from Curtis Salgado's band, Jacob Petersen, playing with Janiva Magness. I was floored by his playing and his tone, through a Redplate amp. We talked for quite a while after the show and he said the speakers were a Red, White and Blues 12" and a Legend 10" ceramic (Emi's). We talked about different types of caps in different locations in the circuit, also. He uses a few choice pedals, also. (RC booster and MJM Blues Devil) Check out some Youtube clips for lots of great blues playing by Jacob and tone help from Redplate.
Yeah, and while your at youtube, check out the clips with Tommy Castro playing hHnry's Red Plate Amps - really great!!
LarryN

Post by LarryN »

I will do that. He was always using Super Reverbs.
ER

Post by ER »

Hi Larry, sent you a PM.
LarryN

Post by LarryN »

ER wrote:Hi Larry, sent you a PM.
Hey Erik - Did the same
LarryN

Post by LarryN »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:
LarryN wrote:I walked into my local club early this year, and saw the guitar player from Curtis Salgado's band, Jacob Petersen, playing with Janiva Magness. I was floored by his playing and his tone, through a Redplate amp. We talked for quite a while after the show and he said the speakers were a Red, White and Blues 12" and a Legend 10" ceramic (Emi's). We talked about different types of caps in different locations in the circuit, also. He uses a few choice pedals, also. (RC booster and MJM Blues Devil) Check out some Youtube clips for lots of great blues playing by Jacob and tone help from Redplate.
Yeah, and while your at youtube, check out the clips with Tommy Castro playing hHnry's Red Plate Amps - really great!!
Could you refer me to any clips of Castro using Redplate? I wasn't sure after looking at a few. No visual of the amp. The 10:00 minute clip with Chris Cain was cool and Tommy sounds real fat on the clip. Chris is a phenomenal player and a real goof. (in a good way!) He uses a Musicman RD50 112. I bought one after seeing him live. It's no Dumble or Redplate, etc., but it's very easy to sound good consistently.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

LarryN wrote:
Could you refer me to any clips of Castro using Redplate? I wasn't sure after looking at a few. No visual of the amp. The 10:00 minute clip with Chris Cain was cool and Tommy sounds real fat on the clip. Chris is a phenomenal player and a real goof. (in a good way!) He uses a Musicman RD50 112. I bought one after seeing him live. It's no Dumble or Redplate, etc., but it's very easy to sound good consistently.
I just saw Chris and he does get great tone with the RD-65. We are talking about a possible build. The easiest way to find clips these days is to go to:

http://video.google.com/videoadvancedsearch?hl=en

type the artists name in the exact phrase box and change the sort results by option to sort by date, I usually set the results per page to 30. Everything Tommy has done for the last 18 months is through his RedPlate. I have some other clips of him on my myspace at http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... dplateamps
www.RedPlateAmps.com
LarryN

Post by LarryN »

heisthl wrote:
LarryN wrote:
I just saw Chris and he does get great tone with the RD-65. We are talking about a possible build. The easiest way to find clips these days is to go to:

http://video.google.com/videoadvancedsearch?hl=en

type the artists name in the exact phrase box and change the sort results by option to sort by date, I usually set the results per page to 30. Everything Tommy has done for the last 18 months is through his RedPlate. I have some other clips of him on my myspace at http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... dplateamps
Thank you Mr. H - You're one heck of an amp builder.
wescaster

EV 12 L cab

Post by wescaster »

Is there anyone on this site building these EV 12 L cabs? I'm looking for something unfinished...so it will fit my budget. I may order one of those on ebay by Boogafunk.
RB

Post by RB »

Check out this ebay link for an unfinshed theil ported cab - I think this guy has them available most of the time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Randy
RB

Post by RB »

Sorry - I did not catch your last line untill I posted the above. This is in fact boogafunk that you are allready aware of

Randy
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Jeepers!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8344435

Hurry up and build me another Henry!