My take on the SSS Updated: the beast is alive VIDEO(S) NEW

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ElectronAvalanche

My take on the SSS Updated: the beast is alive VIDEO(S) NEW

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

So thanks to Mhartman, Aaron and others, I finally set out to build a SSS based on the 001 and 002 schematics and the layout of mhartman.

I got the faceplates made and am currently sourcing the parts (almost finished) and came up with a PCB layout for the amp.

This will be a SSS sans the Reverb section, but with a Dumbleator instead.

I also sketched up the PCB for the FET with relais on board (sorry no artwork yet).

The power supply will be on an eyeletboard. Power TX will be based on a Twin style with 325V-0-325V 500mA. OT will be a standard Twin.

Here is the PCB layout. I plan on doing this with the toner transfer method. I also plan on putting a labeling on the upper part of the PCB using the toner transfer method.

Would love to hear your feedback on the layout, maybe I missed some things. Chassis will be a standard size ODS chassis with three preamp tubes in the back (where they normally are) and two before the PCB closer to the front of the amp. The layout should fit onto a 201 mm x 79 mm PCB.

Notes:

1. The bias 130k will go to a 10-20k bias pot from the pot back to the second ground plane.
2. The original Master is a trim pot on the PCB "set and forget" going into the Dumbleator. The Dumbleator Return after the second triode will be the overall Master, from there into the PI. The "Return" before the grid of the second triode of the Dumbleator will be the "Return" control on the faceplate.

Electron

PS: be aware that the PCB layout might not show correctly if opened with a browser. Should work correctly with Adobe or other pdf viewer.

EDIT:

I uploaded an updated version of the main board. This layout should work. Dimensions of board are 20 cm x 11 cm.

Also attached a FET board layout having the relay on the board. Dimensions 7,7 cm x 4,4cm. Untested since I drew the tracks on the PCB by hand. But should work. Unfortunately .svg formats are not allowed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ElectronAvalanche on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ElectronAvalanche

Re: My take on the SSS Updated: the beast is alive VIDEO(S) NEW

Here is a pic of the faceplates with some knobs... Really looking forward to build the amp....

Electron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Nice work man. Killer job on the faceplate. Looking forward to seeing the rest. Well done.
ElectronAvalanche

Thanks! They came out pretty nice.

Still undecided whether to go for the 70s or the early 80s look ;-)
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I am partial to the 80s look :wink: Either one is nice though.
dreric

Post by dreric »

Very Impressive! How did you manufacture the face plates?
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
ElectronAvalanche

Thanks dreric!

I did the artwork in inkscape and then had them laser cut by a shop into two-ply plastic.

Electron
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Plates look great! I will go for the 80's look :)

Many thanks for posting the layout for these, as well!

Cannot assess the completeness of the PCB layout though, but looks very nice as an artwork.

I thought about doing PCBs on many occasions and especially for the power supplies, but with two little girls, PCB manufacturing is sort of big no no atm.

I am now rigging for mhartman's layout SSS02 build (having difficulties with the relatively low resolution of the file and some of the values are unreadable, but will compare to the schematic available) and hope to have soon get into the real soldering (made two other amps while at it though - )

Niki
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Synchu wrote:I am now rigging for mhartman's layout SSS02 build (having difficulties with the relatively low resolution of the file and some of the values are unreadable...
Agree. Looks like a great start.

Here's a higher res version of my layout.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Wow! That was fast!
Great and many thanks,
Niki
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Synchu wrote:Wow! That was fast!
Great and many thanks,
Niki
Happy to help. BTW, I would recommend moving the HT and bias rectifiers over to the side wall of the amp like Dumble does. There is no good reason to keep them up front close to the control panel.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Very nice design with the PCB. That looks like many late nights:)
Are you going to use turrets or drill small holes for the ends? Turrets might be easier if you want to modify otherwise you'd have to de-solder from the otherwise of the board I assume?
For faceplates, for some reason I like the early '80's style with the black background.

Aaron.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Thanks a million ElectronA, you Mhartman, Aaron and all others are very much appreciated by myself and I know by many others here on the board. Thanks for a great PCB layout of the SSS, Chad
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Those faceplates look great. I didn't realize there was a layout. You guys have come a long way from the original hand drawn schematics.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

As an FYI to everyone, my layout isn't true to a particular SSS. It has elements of both #4 and #2, but it isn't an exact take on a particular Dumble. It is one that I built a while back and enjoy before selling it off. Aaron has done a nice layouts for both SSS02 and SSS01.