High Plate Classic? Should We build it.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

talbany

High Plate Classic? Should We build it.

Post by talbany »

I've been slowly building parts for my next build to scratch my obsessive compulsive addiction of these amps and help get me out of this Covid slump :twisted:

The only ODS I have not tackled yet is the High Plate Classic. I know most of you out there are Skyliner freaks and that's cool! I get it,Sky is a great stack no question although I really like my low plate classic with single coils and played at low volume levels and at times miss that High plate sound especially on the OD Side.I also know the mids will be a bit scooped (although there are ways around that). Anyway, I thought I would ask around first.(anyone play one?)
Here are a few H.P.C's in action..Would you build one?... Be honest?

Mick Taylor Leopard skin

Gregor's 094
#094 Schematic 1.2 (1).pdf
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
didit

Re: High Plate Classic? Should We build it.

Post by didit »

talbany wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:58 pm Would you build one?... Be honest?
Yes ..
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Hi Tony. I also love the low plate classics. With single coils its pure heaven! The Classic tone stack has always been my favorite tone stack especially with a 100k - 120k slope.
But your right about the Overdrive sounding different in a good way with the High Plates. I would definitely also build a High Plate so you can have the best of both worlds!

With your skills I am sure it will sound amazing!
I am building one now for the same reason, just so I can enjoy a different flavor of Overdrive.

Cheers

Guy
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

didit wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm
Yes ..
Double yes. To be honest, I think it is my favorite circuit. I like the classic stack with the 150k slope and higher plate loads. It is more scooped but very Fender friendly. I had the one Gregor is playing under my bench for a couple weeks.
CW
two tone

Post by two tone »

My Favorite !11years ago I built my first Dumble Clone,a silverface with the funky OD Entrance,that developed into a low plate Classic into a high Plate Skyliner into a high Plate Classic with a .05 mid cap into a 250k pot,150k Slope,mid boost and a 500k Bass Pot, my favorite Speaker is a JBL K120,Lots of character
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:14 am
didit wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm
Yes ..
Double yes. To be honest, I think it is my favorite circuit. I like the classic stack with the 150k slope and higher plate loads. It is more scooped but very Fender friendly. I had the one Gregor is playing under my bench for a couple weeks.
CW
So it appear the High Plate Classic was also a preferred circuit for a Strat by HAD. According to Max here #123 was also a H.P.C and was built for a Strat Customer.
AFAIR it's correct, that #0123 has been built for a strat player (AFAIR: 1956 maple neck). But AFAIR #0123 isn't what's called a "low plate classic" here, but what's called a "high plate classic" here.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=30

There is also some conjecture that 123 (like it's sister) 124 that it too has a 350k OD entrance trimmer? You wouldn't happen to know if #094 had that setup along with a 250k OD Level?

So far The leopardskin amp Mick is playing is a better representation! and the OD sings like a high plate..The only thing I worry about is the clean channel sounding too clean w/ lots of headroom and flatter top end, especially with NFB on V1B..I am contemplating adding a 716 mid cap to brighten it up a bit although it will still be missing the extended top the Low plates have..Any Thoughts? Ideas? suggestions?
AFAIR the original owner of #0123 requested two amps with clean channels staying completely "clean" at large volumes, too. And AFAIR that's exactly what the clean channel of #0123 does. Nice (IMO) OD, too, with AFAIR "flutelike" (in my perception) OD harmonics.
Did you get that from #94?
innen1fi4.jpg
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

In the interest in trying to give back some support to this forum, I drew a SCH version of #94 that is easy to read and can quickly be edited.

It does NOT have all the information that Tony's PDF file has but can perhaps be useful as a "quick" glance of the schematic circuit. This is not intended to replace the #94 PDF file which is more complete.

CHECK for ERRORS! Compare carefully to the #94 PDF file.

Note the SCH file has two pages to it.

IF someone finds an error in the SCH version feel free to post the corrected SCH schematic or simply post a reply and I will edit it.

with respect, 10thtx
Last edited by 10thTx on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two tone

Post by two tone »

I have a schem of #094 with a 1M OD Trimmer, 152k to ground,100k pots
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

If you can make it sound like this, yes:

The build up and 2.40 with PAB and Drive is very nice sounding...
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

two tone wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:15 pm I have a schem of #094 with a 1M OD Trimmer, 152k to ground,100k pots
The 1M trimmer is visible in the pic. Considering #124 with a 500k measuring 345k , Im curious what this trimpot really is.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Wow that is a large trimmer , 1 M.

I imagine having more resistance before entering the overdrive stage will make the overdrive sound a little less tight and maybe add some compression and increase lows?

Guy
Last edited by Guy77 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
talbany

Post by talbany »

erwin_ve wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:34 pm
two tone wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:15 pm I have a schem of #094 with a 1M OD Trimmer, 152k to ground,100k pots
The 1M trimmer is visible in the pic. Considering #124 with a 500k measuring 345k , Im curious what this trimpot really is.
Erwin
No way I am putting a 1M there! That aint happenin..The lows would be all over the place, especially with a 250k Drive or Level..It's my understanding (but it's been awhile) that scraping the trace (removing carbon) increases the resistance..The only other explanation was he used a different pot casing and installed a scraped or altered trace element?..You got me there.If I could verify the value I could get a lower value trimmer and remove some carbon. 250k..Thanks for the Y.T clip of #094 I had not seen that one in a long time!..We got us a Screamer :D

Tony
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

1 meg. I believe that is why he used the .02 cap in the HF taper. Notice also, #94 does not have the 500pf bypass on the 220k. Clean is kind of flat and compressed sounding. OD is quite gainy and crunchy sounding. We really need to find some 221k Roderstein MK3s. Tony, I am sure you are aware of this but Gil knows a bit about the High Plate Classic. :D
CW
two tone

Post by two tone »

1M Trimmer with 150k to ground equals 100k trimmer with 40k to ground.Add the 220k ,there is a 7:1 ratio ( 280k:40k / 1070k:150k) so 12,5% Signal feeding OD 1
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:49 am
1 meg. I believe that is why he used the .02 cap in the HF taper. Notice also, #94 does not have the 500pf bypass on the 220k. Clean is kind of flat and compressed sounding. OD is quite gainy and crunchy sounding. We really need to find some 221k Roderstein MK3s. Tony, I am sure you are aware of this but Gil knows a bit about the High Plate Classic. :D
CW
So it looks as though whomever owned #094 at one time thought the amp was too bright?..IMO the H.P.C is one of the Darkest of ODS Models, . :? I was just over on another thread saying I have never seen an amp that didn't have the 500 Pf well here it is :roll:
So it looks as though I will be using the Combo as my template instead of #094, looks to be more my style and I also have a bit more info on this amp and know several who have actually played it and spoke highly of it..As for the MK'3's will start the hunt If none show I may be forced to use the NTE's until a set pops up..My other High plate has them in it and seems to do OK for now,I know the MK'3's will make a difference.I already have a set of 150's
Will Be in Touch
Thanks
Tony