Lend an ear please....

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dogears

Re: Lend an ear please....

Post by dogears »

Thanks....Turns out that I had a few issues with the amp. Last night one of my output tubes blew a pinhole in the glass! TAD shortbottle. I just installed them when I did these clips. I also had the HRM trimmers mal-adjusted. New tubes and new settings restored the topend and then some! I'll make some new clips tonight that have the good bass but with smooth highs.
guitargodad wrote:I have heard a lot of your clips and and these to me sound like the highs, the very top of your spectrum, sounds a little fizzy instead of crisp and glassy like ueasual. bass on clip 4 is the best IMHO. I really like the playing homie.
Normster

Post by Normster »

Great clips, Scott. As you know, I just finished a BM and I have to agree...they sound MUCH different in the room. Where the HRM has a smooth cello-like tone, the BM sounds a bit more like a horn. I think that's the "splat" you've been trying to explain to me. VERY versatile as well. The bright switch is actually usable in OD and adds sparkle to the notes without adding any fizz. PAB is definately Miles Davis horn tone to my ears. As soon as I hit the PAB I had an uncontrollable urge to play "So What." :lol:
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

Normster wrote:Great clips, Scott. As you know, I just finished a BM and I have to agree...they sound MUCH different in the room. Where the HRM has a smooth cello-like tone, the BM sounds a bit more like a horn. I think that's the "splat" you've been trying to explain to me. VERY versatile as well. The bright switch is actually usable in OD and adds sparkle to the notes without adding any fizz. PAB is definately Miles Davis horn tone to my ears. As soon as I hit the PAB I had an uncontrollable urge to play "So What." :lol:
I want cellos AND horns! :D Do you think it would be possible to identify the key elements contributing to cello tone versus horn tone and make tham switchable in a single amp? (... Just dreaming here on a Friday afternoon.)
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
fabiomayo

Post by fabiomayo »

Only caught this thread now but I really like the clips that stayed :wink:

I've been back and forth and couldn't pick one clip. I guess the Test609100nfb.mp3
clip is my least favourite (tonewise, playing is fantastic on all of them) but by
SO little it does not grant a real difference in my listening environment.

Anyway, great listening. Thanks!
dogears

Post by dogears »

I just did this yesterday. I was trying some different mic position with an SM57. http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/SmoothAnt.mp3
mat

Post by mat »

dogears wrote:I just did this yesterday. I was trying some different mic position with an SM57. http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/SmoothAnt.mp3
IMHO I've heard better clips from You, well that is for my taste. I like the more smooth sounding tone. The upper strings are biting very nicely but the lower frequency is not as smooth as it could be (for my taste that is).

Your playing is as enjoyable as always 8) Thanks for th clips !
mat
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

dogears wrote:I just did this yesterday. I was trying some different mic position with an SM57. http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/SmoothAnt.mp3
Before you tweak anything can I hear a remix of this one with a little less bass in the backing track and the guitar a tiny bit more out in front? I think this might be the best clip you've done for the modern RF tone on the lower notes. I'm guessing you've made one of the coupling caps smaller since the previous clips or at least brightened up the HRM trims.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
dogears

Post by dogears »

I can up it later.

In the meantime, I have a new clip here. Centrifugal thread. 6L6 back in and better mix....
heisthl wrote:
Before you tweak anything can I hear a remix of this one with a little less bass in the backing track and the guitar a tiny bit more out in front? I think this might be the best clip you've done for the modern RF tone on the lower notes. I'm guessing you've made one of the coupling caps smaller since the previous clips or at least brightened up the HRM trims.