First time mounting these relays...tips?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bcook

Re: Picture & educational info Please?

Post by bcook »

I used these to hold the relays, it's far better than trying to build your own out of eyelets. DC power for the relays can be derived from the heater circuit or a separate transformer, and the switches just just control the power to the relay. Quite simple - in theory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fischerman

Re: First time mounting these relays...tips?

Post by Fischerman »

RJ,
This amp is going to be a simple prototype and I'm just going to have a single-button footswitch...just to switch between Clean/OD. But the PAB switch on the front panel will be a 3-position switch (BOTH-OFF-OD) that controls the PAB relay. That way I can have PAB automatically engage when I switch to the OD channel and the front panel PAB switch is in the 'OD' position.

I'm using the 5vac rectifier tap on my PT. I'm using the NTE 5/6v relays.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have LEDs on the front panel for each channel but I can't figure out a way to do it without adding another relay...so my amp will have 3 relays total (OD, PAB, LED). There's probably some nifty trick to have the LEDs without a relay and a single-button footswitch but I can't figure out how. Besides the extra relay might come in handy.

This is all new to me...the only other channel-switcher I've built used optos and didn't even have panel LEDs.

Pretty cool bcook...that does look like an easy alternative.
moonrock

Post by moonrock »

bcook-
That looks like a great solution. I bought a board from a member on this site about 4 months ago that is clean and works like a charm. But the R Shack board looks like an easy purchase when in a pinch. I agree with you, I've tried the turret/eyelet way and just seem to struggle and get frustrated.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

RJ Guitars wrote:Thank you all for the very useful info...

I am attempting my first ODS build - basically following a D'Lite layout.

I want to make a relay board to control the PAB - Brt - OD - using a foot switch... If I'm on the wrong link, gently smack me into reality...

I think I need to fully expose my ignorance of how the relay board works in hopes that you will all be kind and I can gather an education simultaneously...Is it possible for someone to send me or post an image &/or schematic of the relay board? I'm still a little fuzzy on the specifics of how it all works:

1) How does the relay work in conjunction with the switches?
2) Is there a separate DC power supply needed?
3) Can I even do this on a D'Lite
4) Would someone share their board design with me?
5) AES sells a generic three button footswitch with a 5 pin DIN connector... will this work? part # P-H473 http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/fox ... tem=P-H473

Thanks in advance

rj
A1: If a function is on a relay the panel switch turns on the relay.
A2: Depends on the PT, The D'lite kit PT has an unused rectifier tap that can be used.
A3. Can be done on amy amp.
A4. lots of info on this Bboard on relay design
A5. Yes, it will work without modification if you don't mind the LEDs working in reverse (LED on = relay off) You can change that easily by putting the LED in series. (change the 1K to a 150 ohm).
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Fischerman wrote:RJ,
This amp is going to be a simple prototype and I'm just going to have a single-button footswitch...just to switch between Clean/OD. But the PAB switch on the front panel will be a 3-position switch (BOTH-OFF-OD) that controls the PAB relay. That way I can have PAB automatically engage when I switch to the OD channel and the front panel PAB switch is in the 'OD' position.

I'm using the 5vac rectifier tap on my PT. I'm using the NTE 5/6v relays.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have LEDs on the front panel for each channel but I can't figure out a way to do it without adding another relay...so my amp will have 3 relays total (OD, PAB, LED). There's probably some nifty trick to have the LEDs without a relay and a single-button footswitch but I can't figure out how. Besides the extra relay might come in handy.

This is all new to me...the only other channel-switcher I've built used optos and didn't even have panel LEDs.

Pretty cool bcook...that does look like an easy alternative.
For LEDs on the panel: wire the LED anode to the relay positive, put a resistor in series with the LED cathode (1K or so depending on desired brightness) and connect it to the relay ground (the one that gets switched).
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

heisthl,
The way I had originally planned on doing it (and keeping the 'one button footswitch' constraint in mind), I couldn't figure out a way to have one LED ON when Clean and the other ON when in OD. The single-button footswitch means that I can only make/break one connection (unless I wire that one connection to a third relay coil which is what I had planned on doing).

So for example: If I set it up such that the OD relay is ON when in OD, then having an LED light up is easy. But then how would I get the Clean LED to turn ON (as well as the OD LED turn OFF) when all relays are OFF (which is what Clean mode would be)? Also with the 'make/break only one connection' constraint in mind.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Fischerman wrote:heisthl,
The way I had originally planned on doing it (and keeping the 'one button footswitch' constraint in mind), I couldn't figure out a way to have one LED ON when Clean and the other ON when in OD. The single-button footswitch means that I can only make/break one connection (unless I wire that one connection to a third relay coil which is what I had planned on doing).

So for example: If I set it up such that the OD relay is ON when in OD, then having an LED light up is easy. But then how would I get the Clean LED to turn ON (as well as the OD LED turn OFF) when all relays are OFF (which is what Clean mode would be)? Also with the 'make/break only one connection' constraint in mind.
Put a LED?resistor in series for the "ON" LED. Put another LED/resistor across the switch for the "Alternate" LED. the series resistor will be around 150 ohms, the parallel resistor will vary but should be around 1K, it has to be sized to light the LED without dropping enough to engage the relay.
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

Duh...I knew there was something so simple that I was missing (LED/resistor across switch). Where's that 'slaps forehead' smiley? Thanks heisthl.
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

Oops - wrong thread
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html