Port City 1X12 cab

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dogears

Port City 1X12 cab

Post by dogears »

Dan Klein sent me one of these cabs to try out. It is a cool front ported closed back design. It has internal sound deflectors to aim the wave out of the large port on the cabs bottom.

[img:450:450]http://www.portcityamps.com/images/1x12.jpg[/img]

I did a super dooper quick clip this morning. I just had loaded it with an 8 ohm G1265. Only one take, no amp adjusting, mic messing, etc..... Sorry again for the sour bend near the beginning. Normally I would do another take. Sennheiser e609.

Cool cab though. Lots of warm mids......

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/2007/TestPortCity.mp3
stelligan

Re: Port City 1X12 cab

Post by stelligan »

Cool cab. Nothing not to like in that tone!
Since you are mic experimenting also - have you tried a CAD Trion 7000 ribbon mic yet? Very nice and transparent full range reproduction and no phantom power required. A little pricey to lug to a gig, but great guitar mic.
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

How's the low end in the room? Any boominess?
jelle

Post by jelle »

Cool direction! I love the front ported cabs. I am using a couple of Dynacord 1x15" cabs loaded with Jensen C15N concert series and they sound like nothing else 8)

How does this cab you are using compare to the dumble 1x12 with the front loaded pipe?
Port City Amp

Post by Port City Amp »

Hi guys. (And gals.) Scott just told me about this forum. This place is great! I know I should make my first post in the introduction section but I thought since Scott started this thread I would do it here.

The pictured cab is actually the 1x12 Wave cab. Scott bought the 1x12 OS Wave cab. (4 inches wider than the regular 1x12 Wave cab.) Now that I know this forum is here I look forward to getting to know many of you. Thanks.

Daniel
Port City Amps
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

whats the cabinet weigh? how do ya think it would work for an EV?

germ
dogears

Post by dogears »

Not sure about weight, but I think the EVM would be a whole lot better match for it than the G1265. The large port has a smoothing effect on the highs and the G1265 gets a tad dull. I bet the EVM kills. I will load one in and report back.

Cab is a nice size though. Big sounding too.

New clips soon... The last one was not my best... LOL
lastwinj wrote:whats the cabinet weigh? how do ya think it would work for an EV?

germ
benoit

Post by benoit »

Is this a similar idea to this EV design?

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/B ... 0Plans.pdf
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

benoit,

I've had some EV12L loaded TL boxes since the 70's. Very portable and good sounding cabs. They look to be of similar geometry but smaller than the cabs discussed. They have no internal deflection and have a significant amount more low end when port is not covered as shown. I should mount handles and tolex those babies....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

benoit wrote:Is this a similar idea to this EV design?

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/B ... 0Plans.pdf
Similar idea for sure. However, the Wave has reflectors along the rear edges which are claimed to channel the sound out of the front port. Ported cabinet design formulae don't take into account interior shape, reflectors etc. so I don't know if really helps... but then again, I won't say it doesn't. (Dr. Z claims the secret to his Z-Best cabs are some strange interior 'shelf'... so who knows).

FWIW, the Mesa Thiele cab is pretty much a complete knock-off of the TL806 design. BTW - I'm a fan, I've got three TL806 cabs.
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
dogears

Post by dogears »

I have two Thiele cabs on their way. I do know that the Port City is not a Thiele port. It does not use tuned "tubular" ports, although the long bottom port may be "tuned" in some manner. It is just a long opening or detuning.
benoit

Post by benoit »

Well in any case, they look sweet, and if I did not have access to a great woodshop and love to get my hands (saw)dusty I'd be mighty interested.
moj067

Post by moj067 »

These look like the smaller older versions of what Klipsch did to fold those Klipsch horns, or some other version of a transmission line-like speaker.
I always liked to put some foam in the opening to dampen the openess(brightness).Neat to see for guitar cabs.