Hum Hum Hum

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

Hum Hum Hum

Post by rutledj »

I'm fighting a hum problem. What it weird is that it will go away just by touching a scope or meter lead to one of the relay connections. I have 2 clean channels so I'm switching the inputs via a relay as well as the outputs.

Do you find it necessary to do any special wiring around the relays (ie. shielding cables, ground plane on relay board)?

Rut
mdroberts1243

Re: Hum Hum Hum

Post by mdroberts1243 »

rutledj wrote:I'm fighting a hum problem. What it weird is that it will go away just by touching a scope or meter lead to one of the relay connections. I have 2 clean channels so I'm switching the inputs via a relay as well as the outputs.

Do you find it necessary to do any special wiring around the relays (ie. shielding cables, ground plane on relay board)?

Rut
Did you reference the relay supply to system ground at one point? I've had a similar problem in the past when I've attempted to run a 'floating' supply.
-mark.
My tube blog & link directory: http://tubenexus.com
Cause & Effect Pedals FET Dream and Dumble Style Chassis
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

The relay supply ground is connected to the other grounds. I'm switching the relays via the ground connection with hot on them all the time
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

rutledj wrote:The relay supply ground is connected to the other grounds. I'm switching the relays via the ground connection with hot on them all the time

That is the correct way, switching by grounding. Try putting a 1000uf cap on the relay power. It that doesn't get rid of it you may have to redefine "Hum". Is it maybe the kind of hum like having an open ended patch cord plugged in?
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
BobW

Post by BobW »

Knowing if it's 60 Hz. or 120 Hz. tells you where the issue is. 60 Hz hum is prior to any rectification, and 120 Hz. is after (assuming a full wave bridge).

When you touch a scope probe to the relay circuit, two things are happening:

1. you've provided approx. a 20 pF cap to ground.

2. you've chassis ground referenced the circuit.
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Well, is there an easy way to tell the diff between 60 and 120? My ears aren't quite that refined:)

It does sound kinda like a loose patch cord plugged into the input but even when nothing it plugged in.

I'm still questioning my grounding scheme. Using Funk's supply board which has separate grnds for B1, B2, and B345 (together as one) I have both B1 and B2 going straight to the chassis gnd where the PT centertap is connected. The other ground is run to the buss wire behind the pots with that. Another wire runs from the buss wire (near the input jack) to the chassis ground. All of my preamp grounds and pot grounds are tied to this buss wire. Is there a better way to do this?

I have shielded wire from input to relay, relay to tube input, v2b output to vol and vol back to relay before od. Wouldn't think I'd need any others.

Thanks,

Rut

Rut
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

You didn't say - did you try clipleading a cap(1000uf is best) from the supply point right at the relay with the pot bus as a ground?
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Actually I think I found it. Put 100 ohms across heater wires to grnd and it went away. I should have tried that first! Duh.

Thanks anyway.

Rut