Wanting To get started building amps and need a Schematic

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stratfanatic

Wanting To get started building amps and need a Schematic

Post by stratfanatic »

Hi all this is my first post! I wanted to get started building some amps and I was wondering if anyone had schematics to a lower wattage dumble amp head or something like a fender bassman. I was also wondeirng how much and time a project like this costs as well as the learning curve, but i do like to do things in a baptism by fire kind of way
Stanz

Re: Wanting To get started building amps and need a Schematic

Post by Stanz »

Do you have any electronics experience, especially working with the extremely high voltages involved with a tube amp?

If this is your first amp, and you have experience working inside of an amp and understand the safety issues, I would respectfully suggest trying a 5E3, or an 18 watt as a good place to start. There most definitely is a learning curve.

The amps discussed here are a little more conceptual, although there are many schematics, but they usually involve some sort of tweaking to dial in the tone. there are issues such as lead dress and layout that are crucial in building a good amp and starting on a smaller scale is a good way to learn.

Some of Kevin O' Connors books (The Ultimate Tone series) are a good place to get a handle on building and design of tube amps.

my 2 cents.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Figure on spending some where between $300 and $1000 depending on what you build.

As stated above, a 5E3 Deluxe makes a good starting point (and an AMAZING amp if you do it right)

Bruce Collins www.missionamps sells a Kit to do a 5E3 for about $700, and it will have everything you need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Funkalicousgroove

Please keep in mind that you need to have at least some understanding of how an amplifier works before you attempt to build one, Tube amplifiers contain DEADLY voltages even when they are unplugged!!! YOU NEED TO KNOW WHICH PARTS CAN KILL YOU!!

Get yourself a book on basic electricity, a copy of Dave Funk's tube amp workbook, Valve amps and Building valve amps by morgan jones, and dig in.
Stanz

Post by Stanz »

Yes, the 5E3 tweed Deluxe is great amp. I just had a "shoot out" with my new ODS and my 5E3 and the little Tweed Deluxe sounded great. Really nice tone.

My first post was a response to the phrase "baptism by fire". I have a concern that the fire may be you touching the wrong thing at the wrong time. Just in case it was not clear, there is a real safety issue concerning extremely high voltages that are lethal. We are talking about voltages in excess of 400V.

Dire messages out of the way, building amps is sure fun, and a way to explore tones and playing responses that you may not find in your run of the mill, mass produced amps.
rhubarb9999

Post by rhubarb9999 »

I am planning to build the 5E3 that is in Tino's book. Any advice on the best transformers to use?
Funkalicousgroove

Heyboer or Mercury. The ones Mojo stocks are Heyboer, I believe Mission has either Heyboer or TMI. I personally wouldn't spend the $$$$ on the mercury's but to each their own.
riscado

Post by riscado »

Hi Funk, I'm curious, what's your opinion on hammond classic iron for guitars amps?

thanks