Source of Dumble Tone.....

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Funkalicousgroove

Re: Source of Dumble Tone.....

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

ayan wrote:
Funkalicousgroove wrote:You can all thank Gil for the chassis I sell, that's for sure!!!
Hmmm... my chassis were not nearly as pretty as the ones you make avaialble to all of us now. :D

Gil
Yes, but you gave me that original drawing as a starting point. Just like we all owe Thomas Edison thanks, because without the light bulb there would have been no tubes. And of course Marconi, Tesla, Etc...

I think the Big Guy owes some thanks to Leo Fender :D
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
ayan

Post by ayan »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:I think the Big Guy owes some thanks to Leo Fender :D
OK, and maybe also to Randall Smith for "inventing channel switching?" :D

Gil
benoit

Post by benoit »

Funkalicousgroove wrote: I think the Big Guy owes some thanks to Leo Fender :D
I think HAD owes his ears and brain to the BIG big guy :)
mdroberts1243

Post by mdroberts1243 »

dr. who wrote:Has anyone read the book By Kuehnel- Vacuum Tube Circuit Design: Guitar Amplifier Pre Amps?
I've been into the Building Valve amps book and this one seems like it might be useful.
I read, and thoroughly enjoyed, his first book "Circuit Analysis of a Legendary Tube Amplifier: The Fender Bassman 5F6-A". With that experience I ordered "Guitar Amplifier Preamps" as soon as it was announced... I thought he might use the same analytical techniques to get to the bottom of tone construction (all the things that are hinted about in the article Funk posted)... unfortunately, the 2nd book doesn't get into tone stacks or interstage tone shaping at all.

There is good information in the 2nd book, but I think tone shaping is left for a future book.

I really like the Morgan Jones Valve Amplifiers book, but the Building Valve Amplifiers book was less useful, IMHO.
-mark.
My tube blog & link directory: http://tubenexus.com
Cause & Effect Pedals FET Dream and Dumble Style Chassis
kleinm

Post by kleinm »

I know I'm about a page late into it...but I wanted to thank everyone too. I'm constantly impressed by the generosity you share. You all know who you are. :)

Many, many thanks.
67:1
toneman

Post by toneman »

Wish some one could take the info taught and learned here and put it in book/CD form.. so much to read and learn. The Big Guy should take a Bow. Thanks Guys----- my freinds say it's a sickness,what do they know :shock:
jelle

Post by jelle »

The Aiken site is GREAT also for interstage tone shaping!! Right now I'm reading the Radiotron Designers Handbook (4th edition) which can be found here:

http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/RDH4.html

There is great info here. I hope you like it as much as I do. May I suggest to get yourself 5 packs of coffee and five packs of printing paper for this one? Very comprehensive stuff for the more advanced builders IMHO.

And thanks to all al the contributors of this forum because you enabled me to get my tone! Thank you! Y'all ROCK!

Jelle :D
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

mdroberts1243 wrote:
dr. who wrote:Has anyone read the book By Kuehnel- Vacuum Tube Circuit Design: Guitar Amplifier Pre Amps?
I've been into the Building Valve amps book and this one seems like it might be useful.
I read, and thoroughly enjoyed, his first book "Circuit Analysis of a Legendary Tube Amplifier: The Fender Bassman 5F6-A". With that experience I ordered "Guitar Amplifier Preamps" as soon as it was announced... I thought he might use the same analytical techniques to get to the bottom of tone construction (all the things that are hinted about in the article Funk posted)... unfortunately, the 2nd book doesn't get into tone stacks or interstage tone shaping at all.

There is good information in the 2nd book, but I think tone shaping is left for a future book.

I really like the Morgan Jones Valve Amplifiers book, but the Building Valve Amplifiers book was less useful, IMHO.
I bought the Bassman 5F6-A book. I must admit that this is way over my head. Too technical. I guess if anyone struggles with Kevin O'Connor's books he should definitely stay away from this one.
TimS

Post by TimS »

jelle wrote:The Aiken site is GREAT also for interstage tone shaping!!
There's a lot of great info on that site, but it falls into the same category as Kuehnel's preamp book - it gives you the basic equations governing the circuit, but it doesn't go into the theory behind tone shaping and harmonic buildip. Which frequency bands to boost/cut and where and why, or how to take a sound in your head and design an amplifier circuit that will at least get you in the ballpark. That's a topic that I have yet to see anyone address in depth.

Who knows, maybe I'll learn enough to one day write that book myself. :wink:
jelle

Post by jelle »

TimS,

I'm afraid that is called EXPERIENCE and in order to be able to write that book you'll have to experiment and look very careful at other designs even the ones that use the same technology but do not sound the way you like it to to find out why that is.

Good luck!

Please correct me if I'm way off and such book does exist. In that case I'd like a copy too!! :D
nickt

Post by nickt »

TimS wrote:Which frequency bands to boost/cut and where and why, or how to take a sound in your head and design an amplifier circuit that will at least get you in the ballpark. That's a topic that I have yet to see anyone address in depth.

Who knows, maybe I'll learn enough to one day write that book myself. :wink:
Having a sound in your head in the first place and being able to articulate it or even remember it in the context of hearing another sound is a skill few of us possess. Like perfect pitch (which I certainly don't have) it's rare!

I've always been complemented on my sound as a player (well back in the day :wink: ) but I never designed it I just slowly moved towards it and eventually got there (to some level of satisfaction).

Always thought that playing and building are two different things. One quote that inspired me as a kid was about Jimi Hendrix - it went something like he was always "ready to explore possibilities even if they sounded bad". In other words to "make it fit" or adapt. This is what I've seen a lot of players do including myself - look for a sound from what's available at the time. The sound consequences are immediate not planned and are built on by reproduction (use the same setup, style etc).

Builders can't "make it fit" they have to "make it up". This forum seems about reproducing a characteristic "sound" and even that is way hard (I'm looking forward to trying though :wink: ) Guys who can "make it up" from a blank slate with no reference but the sound in their heads? - holy mackeral - how many can do that? :shock:

Somehow I don't think the "make it up" skill will ever end up in a book except as "this amp sounds like this because ...". (but put me down for a copy anyway thanks TimS :lol: ). Its like composing music or painting a picture - no one can tell you how to successfully create - you either do it successfully or you don't.

Anyway that's my "hoodoo BS" 2c for the day... :roll: :shock: :D
TimS

Post by TimS »

nickt wrote: Builders can't "make it fit" they have to "make it up". This forum seems about reproducing a characteristic "sound" and even that is way hard (I'm looking forward to trying though :wink: ) Guys who can "make it up" from a blank slate with no reference but the sound in their heads? - holy mackeral - how many can do that? :shock:
Not very many. That's one of the reasons I'm intrigued by the concept. Unfortunately, however, it's the sort of thing that somebody would have to devote his life to working on, and I just don't have the obsession for amp building that this task would require. That being the case, I'm afraid my relationship to the subject will remain as a theorist.

Still, I don't think it's an impossible task. Think of how a skilled engineer knows just which frequencies to adjust and how much to adjust them by when EQing a track to make it sound the way he wants it to sound. Or better yet, how a skilled synth programmer can take a bunch of oscillators and filters and quickly program a sound in his head with a minimum of trial and error, because he can anticipate to a certain extent how a particular configuration of components will sound.

Much of that comes with experience and simply cannot be taught. However, in both cases a lot of the concepts behind them are well documented. Similar concepts in the world of amp building, however, are not. If those concepts were better understood and applied to a systematic rather than an iterative approach, something that normally takes a lifetime to learn through trial and error could be learned in much less time.

But like I said, this is all just in theory. There's a big difference between that and practice.
TimS

Post by TimS »

nickt wrote:Having a sound in your head in the first place and being able to articulate it or even remember it in the context of hearing another sound is a skill few of us possess. Like perfect pitch (which I certainly don't have) it's rare!
Really? Guess I'm one of the lucky few then. I can't describe the sounds that I hear in my head to save my life, but I definitely remember them (I've got sort of the aural equivalent of a photographic memory). No perfect pitch, though.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

I seriously doubt that any of these guys had the sound in their head before they started building, it starts with an idea of a circuit, then you build that circuit and for the first time hear what it sounds like, and tweak from there.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
nickt

Post by nickt »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:I seriously doubt that any of these guys had the sound in their head before they started building, it starts with an idea of a circuit, then you build that circuit and for the first time hear what it sounds like, and tweak from there.
Yeah you're right - the point I was trying to make is that most folks (particularly players) use the sound in front of them. Theres a lot of gross changes at the start (eg which guitar which amp which style which pedal) then small tweeks. The patience to keep on tweeking and the ability to tweek *far* beyond that initial gross setup is really unusual. In particular when the destination is unknown. I personally wonder if I'll even be patient enough to get close to a "great" tone once I hit something I like. Wait and see... :wink: