Re: Source of Dumble Tone.....

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

If it ain't broke don't "Fix" it.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Normster

Post by Normster »

nickt wrote:
Funkalicousgroove wrote:I seriously doubt that any of these guys had the sound in their head before they started building, it starts with an idea of a circuit, then you build that circuit and for the first time hear what it sounds like, and tweak from there.
Yeah you're right - the point I was trying to make is that most folks (particularly players) use the sound in front of them. Theres a lot of gross changes at the start (eg which guitar which amp which style which pedal) then small tweeks. The patience to keep on tweeking and the ability to tweek *far* beyond that initial gross setup is really unusual. In particular when the destination is unknown. I personally wonder if I'll even be patient enough to get close to a "great" tone once I hit something I like. Wait and see... :wink:
I don't do a lot of tweaking once I've finished an amp. However, I do try to improve the tone and build quality with each amp I build. I also never build two amps exactly the same unless they're a customer order. I guess I look for what each amp has to offer rather than try to dial in a sound that's in my head.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:
ayan wrote:
Funkalicousgroove wrote:You can all thank Gil for the chassis I sell, that's for sure!!!
Hmmm... my chassis were not nearly as pretty as the ones you make avaialble to all of us now. :D

Gil
Yes, but you gave me that original drawing as a starting point. Just like we all owe Thomas Edison thanks, because without the light bulb there would have been no tubes. And of course Marconi, Tesla, Etc...

I think the Big Guy owes some thanks to Leo Fender :D
TOTALLY AGREE! ;)

jim
nickt

Post by nickt »

Normster wrote:I don't do a lot of tweaking once I've finished an amp. However, I do try to improve the tone and build quality with each amp I build. I also never build two amps exactly the same unless they're a customer order. I guess I look for what each amp has to offer rather than try to dial in a sound that's in my head.
Yeah - I just want to build it then play it - tweeking? that's not my favourite part. Only built 4 amps so far - but they're "improving". 8)
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

Since we're talking about the Dumble playbook, I thought I'd add what I did yesterday. On my Longneck build (pics in the Tech thread on Cure for Hiss), I decided to tweak a bit based on ODS values. I just got some RN65s and 5 mF caps, so I figured I'd stick 'em in and see/hear what happened.

That amp has a sort of BF topology. V1A became 220k/3k3/5mF, V1B became 150k/2k2/25mF, and the mixer stage (between verb recovery and the PI) became 150k/2k2/5mF. The results were VERY nice. Loads more bloom and touch sensitivity. The RN65s definitely add character to the note attack--especially any pinch harmonics. Me like. Geez, all I've really done is make this one sooooooo much harder for me to part with!

I've got a guy who says he wants me to rework a couple of SF Fenders. I'm thinking of putting in several HAD things to get them really singing. Of course, if I can convince him to let me convert one to an ODS..........
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
bnwitt

Post by bnwitt »

John_P_WI wrote:I am fortunate to work with extremely talented engineers in the medical field in which we have to have black and white technical answers. John
Yes there's nothing like an engineer designing to a set of black and white specs and screwing the final product up in his own mind to make a really good guitar amp :lol: Leo Fender was trying to make clean sounding amps originally.

Beware of the analysis paralysis you are already crippling yourself with in this endeavor. All of the great guitar amp gurus have been incessant tweakers not engineers asking black and white questions. Mechanical engineering has nothing to do with great tube amp design. Let it go grasshopper. :oops: No offense intended. I'm an HVAC engineer myself and my trade knowledge did nothing to hurry my experience in this arena compared to building and tweaking.
Great things happen in a vacuum