How would you approach this sound?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JamesO

How would you approach this sound?

Post by JamesO »

Hi everyone

I'm taking a second crack at a Dumble-esq amp. I enjoyed my D'Lite but there was a space to the sound I couldn't seem to dial in. It was an enjoyable learning experience though after building a Machless clone last year and I'm glad I did it.

I really like the sound of the Two-Rock Opal. I played one at Union Grove Music in Santa Cruz and was in love with the big space the sound had. This video demonstrates it well: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gfXUb1g1xLA

Where would I find this type of sound? ODS? HRM?
TimS

Re: How would you approach this sound?

Post by TimS »

There was a good thread at The Gear Page that described the general circuit used in most Two Rock amps. I'm too tired to dig it up for you tonight, but I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall most of their amps being non-HRM with classic Fender AB163 plate/cathode resistor values. I don't think the tone stack was a skyliner, but I'm half asleep at the moment so I could be wrong. In any event, I'm not sure if this is the same circuit used in the Opal.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Here it is: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=228018

Guess it's a skyliner after all.
JamesO

Post by JamesO »

lol, that's my thread. I met Larry through that thread and tried the values from the schematic he gave me in the D'Lite. They didn't seem to work out for me.
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

I seem to recall most of their amps being non-HRM with classic Fender AB163 plate/cathode resistor values.
Thats what that clip sounds like to me -
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

The video to me sounds like a non-HRM built off the stock values on the HiGain schematic on this board with a 120pf bright switch. If your D'lite had 100 watt headroom and the same speakers/guitar it could sound just like this. Don't forget to borrow the guy who's constantly changing the settings.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
JamesO

Post by JamesO »

Cool. Thanks, guys. This gives me some good stuff to follow.
TimS

Post by TimS »

JamesO wrote:lol, that's my thread. I met Larry through that thread and tried the values from the schematic he gave me in the D'Lite. They didn't seem to work out for me.
D'OH! :lol:
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

THe Opal is HRM and has a switch on the front panel that "Bypasses" the internal tonestack by lifting the ground on the mid control.

It is also a "Wireless" amp, so V1 is located right under the Jack and as little wire as possible is used.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
BobW

Post by BobW »

Don't forget to borrow the guy who's constantly changing the settings.
LOL! That was great 8)
yeahyeah

Post by yeahyeah »

yeah, where can I get one of those guys? no store I've been to has them in stock! :lol: