Too chewy tone??

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bob-I

Re: Too chewy tone??

Post by Bob-I »

I'd be concerned that it wouldn't cut through in a full band situation, especally since the treble is already on 10.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

I love this tone. I wouldn't make it any brighter and I think the singing will cut through in a band situation. Just my 2 cents....
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
dogears

Post by dogears »

Bob, the treble was on 10 oclock and not on 10!! LOL
Bob-I wrote:I'd be concerned that it wouldn't cut through in a full band situation, especally since the treble is already on 10.
mat

Post by mat »

Scott, really good sounding amp ! Congrats !

Bob, could You tell what You mean by:
Have you tried an '57 ORTF setup, say 2-3' back?
Thanks,
mat
bcook

Post by bcook »

mat wrote:Scott, really good sounding amp ! Congrats !

Thanks,
Mat,
It's a stereo mic technique. Set 2 SM57's like the picture below, with each mic 50 degrees off of center, and 17cm/6.5" between the mic capsules. Center the intersection of the mics on the center of the speaker, and move the mics in or out to adjust the amount of room reflections. You'll want to get the speaker up off the ground to avoid that quick bounce off the floor.
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

Your clip did not seem overly dark to me, but just right. In general, I tend to prefer it darker than most people, as long as it can still cut through live. Your clip was excellent and well balanced. I like the low end bark. The highs were really smooth with no hint of buzz. Did you say you remixed it? Is what I heard the remix or do you have another link for that?

BTW - The Carlton clip is excellent in that the amp contributes sustain, singing and breakup without compromising the tone of the instrument. I like the fact that Carlton keeps his settings on the edge of feedback allowing him to get the rig to sing just by moving a certain way.
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

dogears wrote:Bob, the treble was on 10 oclock and not on 10!! LOL
Bob-I wrote:I'd be concerned that it wouldn't cut through in a full band situation, especally since the treble is already on 10.
:oops: :roll:

Then I'd turn it up, too dark for me.
mat

Post by mat »

bcook wrote:
mat wrote:Scott, really good sounding amp ! Congrats !

Thanks,
Mat,
It's a stereo mic technique. Set 2 SM57's like the picture below, with each mic 50 degrees off of center, and 17cm/6.5" between the mic capsules. Center the intersection of the mics on the center of the speaker, and move the mics in or out to adjust the amount of room reflections. You'll want to get the speaker up off the ground to avoid that quick bounce off the floor.
-Bob
Thanks Bob! I'll try this one :D

Btw. I've read that someone mics the back of the cabinet. What might be the pros/cons of that ?
mat
Ears

Post by Ears »

Nice playing, I liked the bottom end.

But kind of felt the set up wouldn't allow [me to realise] some high frq requirements - for example good "loose" pinch harmonics, I didn't get confidence in that area from the clip.
bcook

Post by bcook »

mat wrote: Btw. I've read that someone mics the back of the cabinet. What might be the pros/cons of that ?
Anything's worth trying once! The idea is to mix in a little of the back mic to fatten the sound, but go ahead and break the rules - try panning the mics hard left and right, it might come out interesting. You'll most likely have to invert the "phase" of the back mic, as the speaker cone is moving away from it at the same time it's moving toward the front mic.
-Bob
dogears

Post by dogears »

Here is a much improved clip http://www.scottlernermusic.com/2007/GregTestNewOM2.mp3 Audix OM2 mic, G1265 still, better mix technique
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

dogears wrote:Here is a much improved clip http://www.scottlernermusic.com/2007/GregTestNewOM2.mp3 Audix OM2 mic, G1265 still, better mix technique
I thought the original one was good, but by comparison this one sounds a tad better to me. The low mids seem less pronounced in this one which makes the whole track seem crisper and more transparent now. Very polished recording overall.
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com