Chewy tone fixed? How is this?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dogears

Chewy tone fixed? How is this?

Post by dogears »

Here is that same amp from the Too Chewy thread.

I adjusted a few things and also used an Audix OM2 on this clip. Much better clearer top end now. Btw, treble control was still set around 10 oclock.....

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/2007/GregTestNewOM2.mp3

Constructive feedback requested.

Btw, this is using EH 12AX7 tube sin the V1 and V2 spots. I have not messed with any of my NOS stash.
dogears

Re: Chewy tone fixed? How is this?

Post by dogears »

Here is another amp. Same exact setup, I just swapped the heads.

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/2007/WhaleyAmpTest.mp3
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

Wow! It's like Cabernet versus Merlot. Each a disticntive flavor but both very tasty. I have nothing to critique but I have a slight personal preference is for Greg's amp based on these clips.
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Scott,
Really liking the FAT sounds your are getting from these amps! Clip one - has a more even tone high to low for me. Especially halfway through the clip when more high end is introduced by more aggressive picking. It's a tad too dark for me when you are not digging into the guitar. Clip two - more high end content off the git go, but thinner lows and something in the mids that doesn't get it for me. Hope this is helpful. The playing is - as usual - making want to shed...
dogears

Post by dogears »

Thanks dudes! Greg's amp is finished. The 100 watter in the second clip is not finished. I have a few things left to change. I agree that Greg's is a little more balanced tonally.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Overall I liked the WhaleyAmpTest.mp3 best of the 3 clips (including the one in the other thread). Still nice and chewy but nice smooth top end that makes it cut through better without being harsh.

What'd you change?
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Greg's amp sounds GREAT! Is that a non-HRM amp? If so, I want that recipe! I want my non-HRM amp to sound like that!
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Ed de Jager

Post by Ed de Jager »

FWIW i like the tones of the whaley(?) amp best. it can be minor differences in playing that make me like this one best but i believe it`s the amp.