Which tubes for ODS?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dr. who

Which tubes for ODS?

Post by dr. who »

When D-man made non-hrm skyline ods models with 6l6, which pre and power tubes did he prefer together?
Bob-I

Re: Which tubes for ODS?

Post by Bob-I »

Do a search, there's been tons of discussion on this topic.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

I couldn't find but one post containing a non-hrm w/ skyline ods...that only leaves me with one confirmed tube selection....I know the same tubes will work for the hrm's and bm's it's just I was hoping that there was some preference for specific character in these specific models...which power tubes accentute which pre tubes and vice versa for non-hrm style sounds?
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

With all these variations on the theme it's really difficult. Not only that, tubes are not a constant, they vary from tube to tube among the same type.

Read through some of the reports and decide for yourself. Personally I like KT77's or 6L6's on the output, but I have a 4x6V6 amp that sounds great, in a unique (non-Dumble) sort of way. Preamp tubes, EH for sure, JJ are ok but not the ECC803, I've had good sound from the newer Chinese tubes, but some have crapped out with no warning, Sovtek 12AX7LPS are nice and bright in the PI position.

JMO.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

I remember I started polls on V1, V2 and the power tubes in this section.

EDIT: but they are no longer there.