One stop shopping?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jelle

Re: One stop shopping?

Post by jelle »

Hi guys,

I feel that the only way to learn this stuff is to try everything that has been mentioned on this site. I know it will take a significant amount of time but since there is no standard ODS, IMHO every individual has to find his own version of this great design the hard way. That unfortunately means putting many many hours into testing different schematics. Once you do start the testing you'll find that this will give you info that no zillion hours reading session will ever be able to provide. The schematics in the files section are all worth trying. You'll probably disagree with some of the circuitry like I do sometimes and thats cool. That is what this forum is about: discussing tones from these tweaks that will result and sharing these ideas.

I feel that the newcomers have one great advantage over the old forum members...there is a wealth of info in this forum now! We didn't have this info when we started. I remember that some of us even thought that there was a tubescreamer under the goo!! This was before the ampgarage, though. Luckily things have changed.

The summary of all great schematics is in the files section and as always....the devil is in the details :wink:

Good luck finding your tone! :D
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

...the devil is in the details.
Exactly....which is a why we shouldn't get bogged down with definitions of what HRM, BM, or any of this other stuff means. We should at least have a definitions page so we can all speak the same language. IMO, a definitions page would be much better if it were done in historical/chronological fashion...introducing new terms as they appeard in Dumble amps over the years. Unfortunately, I don't know this history and I'm just now getting halfway comfortable with most of the definitions.

I used to write procedures for our techs at my job. One thing I learned very early on was to make every attempt to make every procedure 'stand alone'. In other words...DO NOT make a procedure that references a bunch of other procedures or documents and causes the tech to go searching for a piece of info...it all MUST be right there in that procedure. Otherwise it's just a substandard procedure (and you get a lot of grief from the techs!).
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Have you guys seen the wikipedia entry for Dumble amps? It is very well written and gives a lot of details on the various terms and history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumble_Amplifiers
Omar

Post by Omar »

I understand the frustration of new members trying to extract info from the hundreds of threads here on the forum. What I think would be a great solution is to make use of the wiki (same software as Wikipedia) I put up a year ago - http://wiki.ampgarage.com.

I was thinking of this more from the Trainwreck side but here goes:

- Create an article in the wiki titled "Trainwreck Express - Building Guide".
- Have sections for:
  • - Schematics
    - Layouts
    - Parts
    - Vendors
    - Tweaks
    - Troubleshooting
    - Links to important threads
Since it's a wiki anyone can add info so if a thread comes up about a new place to source a part or a new tweak, the article can be edited. We could do this for an ODS building guide as well.

The one major problem with this is what effects the current wiki. It requires all of us to participate. I can't force people to write articles or add to them. But if there is enough participation I think it can be a great thing.

If you want to go the wiki route, let me know. There are a couple of tweaks I would like to do to the wiki that may require re-installing it.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

Yes, I have read that wiki page and also visited the links at the bottom (one of which is...of course...here). A couple of those links are mainly just pictures but Rob Livesey's Page (I remember that name from Ampage many years ago) seems to have the most info...including a letter to Gil from HAD and other stuff like that.

IMO...in the context of a wiki page...just saying that HRM stands for Hot Rubber Monkey and is a change in circuitry is probably good enough. But here...it's merely the tip of the iceberg. IMO, here HRM should be defined by the actual circuit changes...here we can go way, way more in-depth in the definitions. I think these more in-depth definitions would actually work better here...and worse there.
Last edited by Fischerman on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Sounds like a great idea to me but like you said, people have to be willing to keep it updated for it to be useful.

rut
nickt

Post by nickt »

Omar wrote:I understand the frustration of new members trying to extract info from the hundreds of threads here on the forum. What I think would be a great solution is to make use of the wiki (same software as Wikipedia) I put up a year ago - http://wiki.ampgarage.com.
Though I disagreed before - think you're right. :!: :wink:

The best side of the wiki is it's inherently community based and a place for facts rather than chit-chat. Happy to volunteer as a guinea pig and see how it goes. If we can get over the first hurdle and get the basic structure/info in then it might become self sustaining.

To the board:
Any other guinea pigs want to put their muzzle where their mouth is? :shock: :D ... conversly anyone seriously opposed to making things just a little easier?

cheers
Nick
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

rutledj wrote:I hope to purchase one of Funks chassis' when they become available. Is there (or can anyone post) a thread with detail pics of this chassis and build, wiring layout, board layout, actual schematic used, and BOM?

It would really be nice not to have to reinvent the wheel in terms of finding the correct wire routing paths (for reduced hum) and correct values for both hrm and non.

Perhaps these exist among the various threads here but I haven't seen a comprehensive post of these things in one thread. This is such a sharing bunch here that I wouldn't think there would be an objection. To top it off, how about some sound clips for each type of build?

Thanks,
Rut
I don't know what's missing actually. Start with the "Hybrid A" schematic. Absolutely every D type amp starts there. You can only build one at a time, (well most of us anyway) so start with "Hybrid A" and when you're done, post a clip and say: "Is there any way to make "this" tone more like "this"? There are at least 20 layouts published in the files section too, as well as actual photographs of Dumble built amps. What else do you need?
It all starts that way. In the meantime, read every new post that comes in. The basics all get covered at least twice a week anyway. A lot of folks want to start at some point down the line somewhere. Forget about it. There's not one single thing you can't do later to a Hybrid A. Oh, and start with mercury or heybour bassman iron, unless you think you absolutely have to have 100 watts, then start with Showman or Twin iron, and learn how to wire a push pull parallel set of output tubes.
Nothing could be simpler.

Dan H
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.