HRM w/ Skyliner or BM?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Fischerman

HRM w/ Skyliner or BM?

Post by Fischerman »

So many ways to try and skin this cat...or is it that there are so many different cats?

I'm about to start the boards for my HRM with FX loop build. Some HRM schematics I see use the Skyliner TS and some are the full-blown HRM /w BM...some HRMs might even have the Skyliner TS with BM PI values. This amp is using spare trannies I had lying around...OT is a MM Hiwatt 50W Tone Clone...PT is a Hammond 272JX (high heater voltages have been lowered). So I was thinking EL34s, HRM, and BM PI values...but should I go Skyliner or BM TS? Right now I have 2 'free' panel switches (not including PAB, channel switch, and Bright). I had planned on having Deep and Mid-boost switches (no R/J) but that was based on the assumption I'd be using a Skyliner TS. It doesn't look like the BM TS has a Deep switch.

Am I correct that with a Skyliner TS and HRM...when in OD mode the PAB pretty much must be ON? But with a BM TS you can still get a good OD tone with the PAB OFF? What effect does the BM TS have on the clean channel?

Thanks for any help.
mlp-mx6

Re: HRM w/ Skyliner or BM?

Post by mlp-mx6 »

If you're looking for a recommendation...

If you're looking for a Ford-ish tone, I would absolutely recommend the Bluesmaster tone stack and PAB.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...