Dumble stack vs. Fender stack - wiring difference

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TimS

Dumble stack vs. Fender stack - wiring difference

Post by TimS »

I've got a pretty good idea what the changes in slope resistor, treble/mid caps, and pot values do, but what difference does the wiring change make between the Fender and Dumble tone stacks?

In other words, if you were to wire up two tone stacks with identical values, the only difference being that one is wired in the Fender configuration and the other in the Dumble configuration, what difference would you see on a scope, and how does that translate into the effectiveness and/or overall sound of the stack?
glasman

Re: Dumble stack vs. Fender stack - wiring difference

Post by glasman »

TimS wrote:I've got a pretty good idea what the changes in slope resistor, treble/mid caps, and pot values do, but what difference does the wiring change make between the Fender and Dumble tone stacks?

In other words, if you were to wire up two tone stacks with identical values, the only difference being that one is wired in the Fender configuration and the other in the Dumble configuration, what difference would you see on a scope, and how does that translate into the effectiveness and/or overall sound of the stack?

The Bluesmaster (Fender style) stack offers less insertion loss and smoother comparing the two stacks. THis are with stock values for the respective designs.

Gary

Here are the graphs..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
glasman

Post by glasman »

Also notice that the Mid Frequency is shifted between the two. The will give a more scooped mid range texture.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

There are 2 curves on each plot...what is what? Is this with all controls at '5'? Cool plots...I think I understand the solid line but the dashed line...I dunno.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thanks for the graphs, Glasman.

By "Skyliner" and "Bluesmaster", are you referring to the actual tone stacks themselves or just the way they are wired? In other words, do those graphs reflect the standard cap/pot/resistor values associated with Skyliner and Bluesmaster tone stacks (in which case a lot of the difference between them could be attributed to the differences in component values), or did you keep those values constant between the two graphs and just change the wiring?
glasman

Post by glasman »

Fischerman wrote:There are 2 curves on each plot...what is what? Is this with all controls at '5'? Cool plots...I think I understand the solid line but the dashed line...I dunno.
Each graph has two plots, One is amplitude response and the other is phase response.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com
glasman

Post by glasman »

TimS wrote:Thanks for the graphs, Glasman.

By "Skyliner" and "Bluesmaster", are you referring to the actual tone stacks themselves or just the way they are wired? In other words, do those graphs reflect the standard cap/pot/resistor values associated with Skyliner and Bluesmaster tone stacks (in which case a lot of the difference between them could be attributed to the differences in component values), or did you keep those values constant between the two graphs and just change the wiring?

The Bluesmaster is a Fender style stack with .02uf/.02uf mid and bass caps with 47K slope. It can have one of two different boost wiring schemes.

The Skylilner is HADs own stack with a .01 mid cap and .1 bass cap and 150K slope resistor.

Both graphs were set to the "physical" center of their ranges. Assuming

Bluesmaster

Treble - Linear (some Bluesmasters used Audio)
Mid - Linear
Bass - Audio

Skyliner

Treble - Linear
Middle - Audio
Bass Audio (w/.001uf)

Gary

Gary

www.glaswerks.com
TimS

Post by TimS »

glasman wrote:The Bluesmaster is a Fender style stack with .02uf/.02uf mid and bass caps with 47K slope. It can have one of two different boost wiring schemes.

The Skylilner is HADs own stack with a .01 mid cap and .1 bass cap and 150K slope resistor.

Both graphs were set to the "physical" center of their ranges. Assuming

Bluesmaster

Treble - Linear (some Bluesmasters used Audio)
Mid - Linear
Bass - Audio

Skyliner

Treble - Linear
Middle - Audio
Bass Audio (w/.001uf)
Thanks for the info, but I guess I need to clarify what I'm asking about here. What I'm wondering is: keeping all caps, pots, and resistors the same, what difference does the change in wiring configuration between the Fender (which has the mid pot connected to the bottom of the bass pot) and Dumble (which has the mid pot disconnected from the bass pot) tone stacks make?

Sorry for the confusion.
tele_player

Post by tele_player »

glasman wrote:
Fischerman wrote:There are 2 curves on each plot...what is what? Is this with all controls at '5'? Cool plots...I think I understand the solid line but the dashed line...I dunno.
Each graph has two plots, One is amplitude response and the other is phase response.

Gary
Are those measured response curves, or SPICE simulations?
DanteCarrer

Post by DanteCarrer »

The answer is simple.

The "Fender" style stack has it's mid and bass controls essentially wired in series. The "Dumble" style stack has it's mid and bass controls essentially wired in parallel. This parallel wiring allows more mid frequencies to pass through the stack.

As far as effectiveness is concerned... this has more to do with the values of caps and pot and the frequencies they are associated with. It is also a subjective thing - some people will find that having more mids all the time makes it more difficult to shape their tone while others will prefer more mids. The loading on the first gain stage will be slightly different but this difference is negligible and probably not perceivable.

If you look at the big picture, Dumble's gain stages and interstage attenuators are setup without much/any frequency/gain shaping/emphasis which is perceived as a more mid-range-y tone. In clean mode the EQ will work fairly well but since the EQ is so early in the chain (in single EQ models) when in OD mode the EQ will be much less effective than if the EQ were placed later in the gain chain. This is a compromise... yes... Dumble made compromises. He chose to have more control over the clean tone than the distorted tone.
Last edited by DanteCarrer on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<b>Dante Carrer</b>

Island Amps
www.islandamps.com
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thanks. So does the parallel wiring have any effect on the range of frequencies affected by the mid knob, the location/width of the mid scoop, etc. or is it pretty much just a matter of passing more of the same frequency range?
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

I replaced the Fender tone stack in two amps with a Dumble tone stack. The Dumble stack has a lot more mids to my ears, and to get a Fender like scooped tone you have to set the midrange control below 3 (or 9 o'clock).
TimS

Post by TimS »

Darkbluemurder wrote:I replaced the Fender tone stack in two amps with a Dumble tone stack. The Dumble stack has a lot more mids to my ears, and to get a Fender like scooped tone you have to set the midrange control below 3 (or 9 o'clock).
Did you just disconnect the mid pot, or did you also change the pots/caps/etc.?
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

I used the same cap values - 330pf treble, 0.1uf bass, 0.047uf mid. I replaced the existing 10k midpot with a fixed 10k resistor to ground and added a 250kA mid pot for the mid cap. I tried to use as many of the Fender stack parts to see what the difference in wiring would be.
glasman

Post by glasman »

tele_player wrote:
glasman wrote:

Gary
Are those measured response curves, or SPICE simulations?
Those are spice simulations which explain the extended high end response.

I will have live measurements, maybe this weekend. I have an Ono Sokki CF5220 that is perfect for these kinds of measurements.

I will be swapping my D-clone combo from Skyliner to Bluesmaster this weekend and I will take before and after spectrum measurements.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com