Tell me if this sounds stupid

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stevlech

Tell me if this sounds stupid

Post by stevlech »

Hi guys. I'd like to build a Bluesmaster- style amp that I plan on setting to OD mode 99% of the time. Do you think it would be wise to put the first tone stack on an internal board w/ trim pots and put the HRM stack on the front panel? I'm just in the planning stages, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
d95err

Re: Tell me if this sounds stupid

Post by d95err »

Sounds like a good idea to me, especially if you intend to use the PAB most of the time (which essentially bypasses the tonestack anyway).

Checkout this thread about simplifying the Dumble interface:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3662
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

Why not? You can also put the trimmers on a board parallel to the front with matching holes in the chassis so you can change them with a pick without them sticking out to get smacked around. One thing to consider, the build specs have both audio and linear pots. YMMV on dialing the settings. sh
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

I had my Bandmaster set up in a similar way for a while.

The normal channel had Volume, Bass and Treble controls with a fixed 10k resistor to ground from the bass pot. This channel fed the OD circuitry and the second tone stack was on the front panel (the controls for the vibrato channel). I also had the PAB on the bright switch of the vibrato channel. This sounded quite good with the PAB engaged.

In fact I am considering rewiring the OD channel of my Concert to a fixed PAB on HRM channel and use the OD channel tone controls as the HRM tone stack. The reason I am thinking about this is the wiring criss-cross I have with the current wiring (the OD path goes from V1 to the second tone stack, traversing almost the entire chassis width and going back to V2). I am sure this is not beneficial to the OD tone of this amp. My modded Guyatone Bassman has a more "gradual" layout and is not so midrangey.

Please report about your results if you go ahead with this.
Thanks
Stephan
stevlech

Post by stevlech »

I'll be happy to share my findings. I have to apologize for not sharing in the past- I have no digital camera to take pics. Maybe Santa will bring one this year. :)