Can a Two Rock sound like a dumble?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

Can a Two Rock sound like a dumble?

Post by rutledj »

Just wondering as I have been listening to some two rock clips. I like the clean sounds but can it do the Robben Ford/Larry Carlton OD sounds also?

Rut
ayan

Re: Can a Two Rock sound like a dumble?

Post by ayan »

rutledj wrote:Just wondering as I have been listening to some two rock clips. I like the clean sounds but can it do the Robben Ford/Larry Carlton OD sounds also?

Rut
IMHO, all amps available out there inspired by Dumble that I have heard and played (i.e., Bludo, Glassworks, TR, Fuchs and my own for that matter) can cop those cool sounds. If you don't tweak your own amps, you may find that some are more suited for one vs the other tone as-built. For example, the early Fuchs were very Carltoney IMHO, then Scott tweaked his and he's become the mater of the RF tone. TR had the low-gain Em Pro (I think), and those were very Robben-like.

Personally, I prefer to build my own and from that standpoint, if I couldn't build one, I would try to get my hands on something that is easily modifiable in case you want to tweak. Minor tweaks go a very long ways, IMHO. I would certainly consider cost and how well I think the amps are build. But, having said that, a completely hand-built amp necessitates a higher price in some cases.

Cheers,

Gil