Steel String Singer

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JamesO

Re: Steel String Singer

Post by JamesO »

rob310 wrote:im also new at all this, i have an old fender pro reverb. how would i make it like a skyline EQ ?
Skyliner =

.1 uF bass cap
.01uF Mid cap
330pf treble cap
mid switch
250KA treble pot
500KA bass pot with .001uF cap
250KA middle pot
rob310

Post by rob310 »

thanks
JamesO

Post by JamesO »

Happy to share!
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

The SSS isn't UL, but should make a good donor, although I wouldn't go putting 6550's in there, it's a bit more than the PT will handle, unless of course you want to cook eggs on it after the gig :D

I have a 135W twin that I bought as a donor amp, I can let you know how it turns out-
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
thyx

re

Post by thyx »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:The SSS isn't UL, but should make a good donor, although I wouldn't go putting 6550's in there, it's a bit more than the PT will handle...
This is true. Eric Johnson used to use one (SSS)...and in spite of the Dumble reputation for longevity and reliability, the PT is what eventually went out on him. He sold it and hasn't used it since.
Guitar James

Post by Guitar James »

Funkalicousgroove wrote: I have a 135W twin that I bought as a donor amp, I can let you know how it turns out-
Please do.
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

This is true. Eric Johnson used to use one (SSS)...and in spite of the Dumble reputation for longevity and reliability, the PT is what eventually went out on him. He sold it and hasn't used it since.
I've read/heard (and videos seem to back it up) that EJ had a Tubescreamer in his rack (not on pedalboard) that was dedicated to the SSS and was always ON (so the SSS never sounded really 'clean' per se). Also FWIW, when he does stuff like the intro to Cliffs of Dover live and he starts by hitting a chord and letting it regenerate-to-infinity...the amp doing that infinite 'loop' is the SSS. You can verify by watching the very end of Are You Experienced from the ACL DVD...he walks over to the SSS and tweeks the volume lower and lower so that 'drone' sort of fades out.

I guess my only point here is that EJ didn't use his SSS to get a pristine clean tone...always (or at least almost always) the BF Twins/Showmans/sometimes smaller BF Fender combos...two in stereo via the stereo Chorus...were his sparkley clean tone. It also appears that the SSS was the least used amp in his rig when it was there.

Still not sure what he uses to get the angry-woolly-mammoth tone (eg Western Flyer from the ACL DVD)...but it could be a fuzz into the SSS (through the Tubescreamer).
Funkalicousgroove

Re: re

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

thyx wrote:
Funkalicousgroove wrote:The SSS isn't UL, but should make a good donor, although I wouldn't go putting 6550's in there, it's a bit more than the PT will handle...
I think it was the "power supply" not the transformer, IE, it needed a couple filter caps.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
thyx

Re: re

Post by thyx »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:
thyx wrote:
I think it was the "power supply" not the transformer, IE, it needed a couple filter caps.
You might be right. However, I also heard that EJ and his tech got HAD on the phone to discuss things. Try as I might, I can't understand why that would be necessary if it was just filter caps.

I also heard EJ got the amp back from the guy he sold it to as he was considering using it again (though he ultimately decided against it), so the amp must now be working again...wherever it is.
thyx

re

Post by thyx »

Fischerman wrote:
I've read/heard (and videos seem to back it up) that EJ had a Tubescreamer in his rack (not on pedalboard) that was dedicated to the SSS and was always ON (so the SSS never sounded really 'clean' per se). Also FWIW, when he does stuff like the intro to Cliffs of Dover live and he starts by hitting a chord and letting it regenerate-to-infinity...the amp doing that infinite 'loop' is the SSS. You can verify by watching the very end of Are You Experienced from the ACL DVD...he walks over to the SSS and tweeks the volume lower and lower so that 'drone' sort of fades out.

I guess my only point here is that EJ didn't use his SSS to get a pristine clean tone...always (or at least almost always) the BF Twins/Showmans/sometimes smaller BF Fender combos...two in stereo via the stereo Chorus...were his sparkley clean tone. It also appears that the SSS was the least used amp in his rig when it was there.

Still not sure what he uses to get the angry-woolly-mammoth tone (eg Western Flyer from the ACL DVD)...but it could be a fuzz into the SSS (through the Tubescreamer).
True about the T/S...though I think he switched to a F/F at some point...kicking in another of either for an alternate lead sound as well. That might be what you heard. The "big bad" tones he got in the studio were the Dumble as well. The example I like best is about a minute into "Trademark".
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

FWIW, when EJ played Grant Street Dance Hall in Lafayette, LA, Easter weekend 2001 (he followed Derek Trucks who opened that night), his clean was via a pair of BF Deluxe Reverbs set off the back and to the side of the stage. The other amps were two Marshall Plexis sitting atop 4x12 cabs.

He sounded monster that night--no tantrums. As opposed to when he walked off the stage suddenly at the 2004 Crossroads festival. He left his guitar tech standing there in shock--he was bringing the SG up to EJ. But word is he's mellowed a bit. In my book, though, tantrums and all, he is one of the kings of melody-meets-shred. A truly wonderful talent.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
talbany

Post by talbany »

The best I heard EJ was right after via Musicom... Pair of Twins 2 100w plexis and the SSS.. It took him about 20 min of knob twisting before the first song started.. Stood pretty much right at his feet the whole night .. Unbelievable tone.. The SSS was impressive but his Strat through the Plexis with the fuzz face was the deal!!..for me
You have to kind of figure with his radar up and being so in tuned with his tone that some nights in a horrible sounding room must just drive him nuts.. like riding a psychotic horse through a burning stable...

Tony VVT Amps
rob310

Post by rob310 »

i saw EJ open for satch in 2006 he had the 2 twins and 2 plexis, his tone was fantastic.

heres a vid of him talking about his amps and effects:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document ... %20Effects
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

I saw him twice...first was right after Venus Isle came out and IIRC he was using 100W plexis and two Twin Reverbs. He sounded phenomenal and his playing was amazing. The second time was that tour where Derek Trucks Band opened and he was battling tinnitus and had scaled down to 50W Marshalls and Deluxe Reverbs...he didn't sound nor play nearly as well that night.

For me, his Tube Driver into Marshall tone is the one that made me go; "Wow! What a tone!". It's the 300-pound-violin-tone although the FF-into-Marshall can be just as sustainy...but the 'cello-like attack' and saxophony/flutey upper mid voice aren't there.

The GP that came out after Bloom (which I'm not very fond of at all) had an article that broke down his rig in detail.
Guitar James

Post by Guitar James »

You guys are driving me nuts. I have never seen Eric live, so jealous :D

Eric is the ultimate guitarist IMHO he has tone, chops, melody. I just wish he would get a proper band together with a really good singer.

EJ has used an ODS before too during the 80's. I have heard people say the song Zap is mostly ODS not sure if this is true though.