Redplate amps. Amazing tone

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sidehatch

Redplate amps. Amazing tone

Post by sidehatch »

After hearing my Redplate modded Carr amp , my nephew decided to get a custom build by Henry.

My nephew is going to college and decided to leave his amp with me incase he needs it since we are in the same town. I've been playing it all day and most of yesterday.

I didnt think I could like an amp beter than the modded carr but I do.

I've never played an amp that sounds this good.

You guys know about Henry but I just need to tell everyone how bad ass this thing sounds!!! It has this richness in the mids that no other amp I've played or owned has.

Its about time I got a real redplate of my own.

I'm working on some clips of Matt's amp now and will post them in that section when I'm done.
sidehatch

Re: Redplate amps. Amazing tone

Post by sidehatch »

Did a clip a few mins ago. If there is a better place to put it please let me know.

Its recorded with an M audio handheld and a rattley room but you can hear the tone. Its probably the best tone I've ever had. This is the redplate amp into my pro reverb's speakers: an Eminence red,white and blue and a weber 1265. The backing track is something I threw together on my boss looper into the clean channel of my Carr. Its an improvised tune. Also, I'm sick as hell today. I mean big time!!!!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7986335
Pete

Post by Pete »

VERY nice, is that humbucking guitar? Is there a preamp boost?
That Henry knows what he's doing.
rmb550

Post by rmb550 »

We had Ronnie Baker Brooks at eh Kitchener Blues Festival August 8 - he had his Red Plates and did they ever sound great. I had a friend take pics of his setup but don't have them yet. Will post when I get them if there's any interest. Also, Ronnie is a REALLY FINE gentleman to work with and has talent to spare. Hire him!
rmb
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

This is my PRS Mira humbucker full bridge PU and Im using preamp boost with the gain around 1 o'clock. Mid,treb, bass etc are all around noon or so and midboost on. The normal/fusion switch is on normal. The normal/fat/thin switch is also on normal.

Im not sure if those work on both channels or not. Im just becoming familiar with the amp.

I just did another clip . Its a full song that I did on the looper with same setup as above but with less gain and more of a blues tone.

There is no editing on this thing and its my first try so please excuse the occasional clam or 2 or 3. I feel like shit today and playing guitar is the only time Im not thinking about it.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7986760
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

I enjoyed that tone and playing :D !
Did you ever tried to mod an amp yourself?
nickt

Post by nickt »

Hey love the playing and tone. Pretty fine for a rough cut ;-)

Congrats!

BTW what are you sick with? "Swine Flu"?
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

BTW what are you sick with? "Swine Flu"?[/quote]

I'm not ruling it out. I've had high fever for 3 days in a row now. I came home from my church gig on sunday burning up with body aches all over that night I had a lower back ache that was so intense I cant even describe it. I couldnt sleep because it was so bad even after taking a sleeping pill.

Its not that intense anymore but Im still aching today and just feel like I've been beat up bad. My temp ranges from 99 to 101. :(

I've cancelled 2 days of lessons so far and a session this after noon.

I dont know if I should go to the doc and spread it or just stay home, sleep and rest. If my fever gets higher I'll definitely go. I did that clip yesterday at one point where I was at my best but still damn sick.

I guess if its the swine flu there's not much they could do anyway.

My wife doesnt have it yet but my 4 year old daughter was lethergic and running a fever last week for about 4 days.
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

erwin_ve wrote:I enjoyed that tone and playing :D !
Did you ever tried to mod an amp yourself?
Thanks!! I very much like your clips you posted the other day of your modded ceriatone (I think thats what it was).

I'm in the tinkering phase and besides doing some very minor fender amp mods I haven't done any D type mods.

I want to get a kit at some point but now I'm talking to henry about a custom build.

I was talking to Henry the other day about Violin tone and the fact that I dont really care if its an exact D circuit as long as it has that sound.

Henry suggested him building me a blackface and a tweed channel with a D overdrive circuit . He says the tweed voicing with the D overdrive is the epitome of Violin tone and that I'll probably be even happier than the clips of my Nephew's amp.

Thats a tall order cause Matt's amp simply kicks ass. I have yet to find a bad tone in it. I played a lot of clusters in the second clip because I like the way his amp responds with dissonant diads and chords. It has a 3D quality that I wish I could get this crappy M audio mic to pic up .

I can play a G13b9 with the notes G F B E Ab with heavy overdrive and every one of those notes come out. I guess thats the whole point of the D tone? For the amp to sing,bloom into feedback yet have no ice pick and not be muddy.

I'm glad I discovered the ampgarage because if I didnt I'd still be using a clean amp with an OD pedal.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Shane - what's your feeling on the Holy Grail in the loop? Does it pretty much eliminate the need for a real spring reverb? It sounds good to me but I would use more of it. :)
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

heisthl wrote:Shane - what's your feeling on the Holy Grail in the loop? Does it pretty much eliminate the need for a real spring reverb? It sounds good to me but I would use more of it. :)
I like the grail in the loop. I see no need for built in reverb with it.

I just did another quick jam using Matts amp and a little more reverb:
Song page: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7990467

A click track would help big time but using this handheld I can think of a way to do it. I still think the first clip captures the amps tone best but I cant remember how I had the amp set or where I had the M audio's mic.

Please, Dont think this is a real song because I set up a soundclick page top share them. Its very far from something I'd like to share with the world(except for tone).
dogears

Post by dogears »

Excellent playing Shane. Loved the changes. Your Hendyness was shining through on this one... Tough changes for sure. Had a Wayne Shorter vibe to the harmony. Excellent how it went into the funk bits. Kind of like Beauty and the Beast.

Also, it reminded me Ponty era Henderson. Some of my favorite era....
sidehatch wrote:
heisthl wrote:Shane - what's your feeling on the Holy Grail in the loop? Does it pretty much eliminate the need for a real spring reverb? It sounds good to me but I would use more of it. :)

A click track would help big time but using this handheld I can think of a way to do it. I still think the first clip captures the amps tone best but I cant remember how I had the amp set or where I had the M audio's mic.

Please, Dont think this is a real song because I set up a soundclick page top share them. Its very far from something I'd like to share with the world(except for tone).
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

sidehatch wrote:

Excellent as usual. That's the spring position right? What does plate sound like? No need to do Flerb.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

yep, Thats the spring position. I'll give the plate a try.

I figured out why I like the tone best on the very first clip, I accidently put the back switch on thin whereas it was in the normal position for the very first one.
angelodp

holy grail

Post by angelodp »

Sweet sounds. Tone man tone. Henry you are it.

Which Holy grail model are we talking here.

ange