Bedroom/apartment amp?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

marranbarran

Bedroom/apartment amp?

Post by marranbarran »

Hi everyone, first post here!

I have been looking for a small tube amp to use at home, only - no gigs, the thing is they are all too loud! I have been looking at 5ish W amps around ~400$, Class 5, Blackheart, Blackstar etc. I know Vox just released the lil' NT and Blackstar soon releases the HT-1 but I don't know. I like the Class 5. So I have been looking att VVR, power scaling etc. Which solution do you recommend? Is it hard to install VVR?

Thank you!
kec

Re: Bedroom/apartment amp?

Post by kec »

Welcome marranbarran!

I have a Class 5 that I installed a VVR in. You can also use the headphone trick to attenuate the output.

http://www.marshallvintagemodern.com/vi ... =31&t=3794

Here's my C5...

[img:1024:768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ ... 000067.jpg[/img]

[img:1024:768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ ... 000064.jpg[/img]
Ken

Real guitars are for old people! - Cartman
marranbarran

Post by marranbarran »

Thank you!

Yes I saw that one when i googled around! Was it hard to install? How does it work? Any soundclips?
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

A Fender Vibro Champ is well within your reach.
Do you live near me.....?
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

A Fender Vibro Champ is well within your reach.
Do you live near me.....?
marranbarran

Post by marranbarran »

I'm sorry, I live in Sweden.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

The VVR works great in the class 5. I can send you the instructions to look over if you want to check them out before you buy or build your own. You didn't really expand on what you are looking for in an amp tone wise. You might want to check out a small amp I offer that already has the VVR built in.

http://www.hallamplification.com/main.html?src=%2F#2,1
marranbarran

Post by marranbarran »

UR12 wrote:The VVR works great in the class 5. I can send you the instructions to look over if you want to check them out before you buy or build your own. You didn't really expand on what you are looking for in an amp tone wise. You might want to check out a small amp I offer that already has the VVR built in.

Yes that would be great! Is it possible to send it with a pm here or do you need my e-mail? I like classic marshall crunch and I mostly play 60-70s classic rock/blues. You have any other suggestions? The Class 5 just looks sweet!

Thank you!
UR12

Post by UR12 »

marranbarran wrote:
UR12 wrote:The VVR works great in the class 5. I can send you the instructions to look over if you want to check them out before you buy or build your own. You didn't really expand on what you are looking for in an amp tone wise. You might want to check out a small amp I offer that already has the VVR built in.

Yes that would be great! Is it possible to send it with a pm here or do you need my e-mail? I like classic marshall crunch and I mostly play 60-70s classic rock/blues. You have any other suggestions? The Class 5 just looks sweet!

Thank you!
I would have to email them to ya as they are too big to attach to a PM. Just PM me your email address and I will send them to ya.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade or hurt an amp sale but for apartment dwelling, even 1 watt can be kind of loud.

When I lived in an apartment very briefly in my 20's, the neighbors were less than thrilled if I played my electric guitar through an amp next door to them.
I ended up getting kicked out but not for the guitars.....

Anyway, I bought one of those Rockman headphone amps and man, did that sound good through the headphones. Sounded BIG!
It had stereo reverb, chorus and overdrive. Can't remember what I paid but that was in the late 70's early 80's.

Not the same as playing through an amp but it may save you from being evicted. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Yup. The 6BM8 amps I build run a B+ of ~170V and can't put out more than about 1 Watt at full on distortion. That 1 Watt through anything bigger than an 8" speaker will have my girlfriend complaining, let alone the neighbors (who don't mind it if I crank amps strangely enough). When I was in an apartment, I couldn't play it on anything but a little 3" 20W speaker without feeling bad about how loud it was..

I've got a few different versions of the Rockman. The old black ones that take 8 AA batteries are my favorite but they are pricey now at about $100. The fact that Tom Schultz designed them is a plus though, he's a SMART guy. Have you looked at something like a Roland Cube or Vox modeling amp? They sound more consistent from low to high volume and tend to work a bit better for
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I say screw the neighbors and let the amp sing.

I went through all that when younger and stayed out of jail, not to much interaction with the law, or the neighbors :twisted:
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

dehughes

Post by dehughes »

My thought on a loud amp is: If you're a good player, the neighbors will mind less. If you suck, then they're going to hate you no matter how quietly you play.

That said, my recommendation for around the house amplification is a Fender Princeton, 6G2. KILLER. Not $400, but you get what you pay for. I was told once by a friend to "buy the best, and cry once". Great advice.
Tempus edax rerum
marranbarran

Post by marranbarran »

Aah! Killer advice!