Don't Try to Stop Me!

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

boots

Don't Try to Stop Me!

Post by boots »

I'm thinking about gutting out this old Fender Pro and turning it into some sort of 2x EL34 type of thing. Probably either a TW Express or a Marshall Bluesbreaker-esque something-or-other.

Gonna keep the chassis and transformers. Probably gonna do the rest my own doggone way. At least I won't have to punch any new holes.

This amp had a good life, it was owned by my late buddy back in the 70's/80's. He was the second owner. I know it had been tinkered on and probably modified by the local electronic guru. The caps in the pan had been removed and replaced by Astrons on the tag board. Among probably other mods. I scored a bunch of good tubes and tone caps out of it, and now it is time to give it a new life. I think my old buddy would be proud.

Hopefully this won't be seen as the butchering of a classic amp. It had already been butchered over the years, and was not in very original condition anyway.

Any suggestions on the best way to use all those holes? There are holes for 6 novals and 3 octals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
M Fowler

Re: Don't Try to Stop Me!

Post by M Fowler »

How about turning it into the Climax/New Joyzee since you mentioned Express and the chassis has all that real-estate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bear

Post by Bear »

A brownface with harmonic tremolo? You're killing me.
fuzzheimer

Post by fuzzheimer »

Bear wrote:A brownface with harmonic tremolo? You're killing me.
Yeah, personally I'd just want to tune it up to spec. I've got a brown Super that just doesn't require tweaking, let alone gutting.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I'm going to write to my congressman and demand stronger soldering iron control legislation...
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Hopefully this won't be seen as the butchering of a classic amp.
You can bet it is! :P At least you know exactly what you are doing. I just watched documentaries of Dahmer and Gacy last night. Similar justified motives. :twisted:
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

How about a D-Style amp?

OK, sorry...
topbrent

Post by topbrent »

This isn't what you want to hear, but you ought to sell it as-is on ebay and buy a new chassis and transformers.
If you are just going to start bastardizing a classic, save the poor thing and start clean sheet.

You can get a nice 6MX marshall style chassis from tedweber.com for $30.00. Standard marshall style faceplates fit nicely, as well.

For inspiration look at what xtian has done with his "fiddy" amps on that weber chassis. http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19042

[img:500:233]https://taweber.powweb.com/store/chassis/6mxch.jpg[/img]
dealer: allparts, weber, antique electronic supply
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Please don't gut it! That would be a crime. Please restore it to its former (original) glory! (or at least sell it as-is to someone else who will lovingly restore it)
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
jon

Post by jon »

M Fowler wrote:How about turning it into the Climax/New Joyzee since you mentioned Express and the chassis has all that real-estate.
++++one
bcook

Post by bcook »

I'll trade a modifiable chassis with you.
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

Post it in the "For Sale" section here as is.
There are plenty of guys here who would love to take a stab at restoring it and the money that you make off it should be more than enough to buy new chassis, transformers and most of the components you would need to build any of the amps mentioned here. Add to that the knowledge that your buddies old amp will have a new lease on life as the absolutely glorious brownface Pro that it is meant to be.
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It's a brown pro... one brown pro..

:)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Reeltarded wrote:It's a brown pro... one brown pro..

:)
But what if it was a first series Marshall 1961 and he wanted to mod it into a Peavey?
:wink:
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

Firestorm wrote:But what if it was a first series Marshall 1961 and he wanted to mod it into a Peavey? :wink:
Well, some of those Peaveys were pretty nice ... :)