Plugging unused holes in a chassis

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

yalesmith

Plugging unused holes in a chassis

Post by yalesmith »

Hello. I was wondering what you guys were using to plug unused cahssis holes and where you are getting them.

Thanks!

David
mhartman

Re: Plugging unused holes in a chassis

Post by mhartman »

Search Mouser for Keystone metal (chrome) or nylon (black) hole plugs. You'll need to pick out the right ones based on the size of the hole. Sometimes you can find these at Home Depot / Lowes also.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I make my own from scrap Al, but you can buy them at Weber:

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/chassis/chord2.html
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

You can search 'knockout plug' on the Google and I'm sure you'll find some. I think I got mine from McMaster or DigiKey. Great value on packs of fifty, I think.
Meat&Beer

Post by Meat&Beer »

For little hardware items like this, tiny nuts & bolts, a weird star washer etc, I always try the little shops first. Like Ace, True Value, places like that. The True Value store here has all kinds of hole plugs... plastic, metal, choices of colors, finishes and sizes. I'll order only if I can't find it locally first. (That instant gratification thing I guess)

They always seem to have a much larger selection of the odd little stuff than the big name stores. Try the local hardware store! So many drawers of goodies...
yalesmith

Post by yalesmith »

Will check lowes, I also have a plumbing store right around the corner so I will try there as well. Doesn't $5 a plug at weber seem really expensive.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I use sheet metal (flashing is good) cut to a sensible size and a couple of #4 screws. Sometimes I use galvanized construction ties (not rafter hangers, they have plates). I usually put it inside so I don't have to look at it being all sloppy.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

yalesmith wrote:Will check lowes, I also have a plumbing store right around the corner so I will try there as well. Doesn't $5 a plug at weber seem really expensive.
How about $13 for fifty? Check McMaster, buddy. :)
yalesmith

Post by yalesmith »

Will check lowes, I also have a plumbing store right around the corner so I will try there as well. Doesn't $5 a plug at weber seem really expensive.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

yalesmith wrote: Doesn't $5 a plug at weber seem really expensive.
For the ones just like Fender used to use to cover extra output tube socket holes on Bandmasters? Hey that's vintage! Lucky they ain't $95. Rusty ones $195. After all Weber is in biz to make a profit.

Seriously now, yes $5 sure is a lot for a little smidgen of steel.

Found a good plug accidentally. McCormick pepper grinder lids. Get 'em on sale at ShopRite for 99 cents. Includes grinder-jar full of peppercorns. Now THAT's a bargain! Fits about 1 3/8 inch hole. Sometimes ya gotta improvise.
:D Mc pressed into plastic. Pass it off as McIntosh, charge big bucks.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

I had a large hole for a can cap on a chassis, and covered it with a safety label (google "safety label" for zillions of images you can print out). I printed the label and glued it to a small piece of aluminum flashing, which I secured to the chassis using the holes already there for turret boards inside:

[img:1014:761]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t346 ... 002001.jpg[/img]

If you have a smaller hole, just put in a small toggle switch that goes nowhere, and label it "dark/light" or "wide/thin", or something silly like that, and have fun with your friends doing blind listening tests of which position sounds best :twisted:
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Ken Moon wrote:I had a large hole for a can cap on a chassis, and covered it with a safety label (google "safety label" for zillions of images you can print out).
Like this idea!
If you have a smaller hole, just put in a small toggle switch that goes nowhere, and label it "dark/light" or "wide/thin", or something silly like that, and have fun with your friends doing blind listening tests of which position sounds best :twisted:
Hmmm, diabolical... ;)

First saw this safety label in Europe, no text needed, it says all you need to know:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I nominate Ken Moon for post of the month! It is an artful solution, and practical at the same time! It looks like it belongs there and so clever!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Yes! Agreed!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Excellent - we might be onto something !
Maybe we could have a "Most Bitchslapped of the Month" too.
Wonder who would have won for August ?
:twisted:
:lol:
Why Aye Man