Phase Inverters and Drivers

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jon

Phase Inverters and Drivers

Post by jon »

I am currently planning on building an amp with a pair of 6146 power tubes. 700'ish volts on the plates and 200-250 Volts on the screens. I have seen many PI and driver arrangements for these tubes. As most of these designs are hifi based I was wondering what the best set up would be for a guitar amp. The arrangements I've seen so far are Cathodyne into an anode driver into a cathode driver (acrosound 1955). a Williamson style with a gain stage cathodyne into an anode driver. Obviously the SVT style. And I've also seen a transformer coupled setup with a 6V6 driving the interstage transformer. Would a twin style LTP into a anode or cathode driver be better?
tubeswell

Re: Phase Inverters and Drivers

Post by tubeswell »

jon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:29 pmI am currently planning on building an amp with a pair of 6146 power tubes. 700'ish volts on the plates and 200-250 Volts on the screens.
Not familiar with these tubes, but 700V seems inordinately high for typical Audio Frequency pentode operation according to the RCA datasheet https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/6/6146.pdf

jon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:29 pmI have seen many PI and driver arrangements for these tubes. As most of these designs are hifi based I was wondering what the best set up would be for a guitar amp.
If the g1 voltage is around 40-50V, then maybe a cathodyne splitter with plate driven 12AU7 buffer stages would work well. Put a 'MV' in front of the cathodyne driver to enable the headroom to be adjusted to taste - (like the 'preset gain' in this old Jansen Bass75 schematic, and I only suggested that because this amp is designed to run 7027As at 600Vish, which seems to be similar to your concept)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins